Samuel Watts

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Samuel Watts

Postby myk » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:05 pm

Hi,
Am tracing my family tree and would like any information about my great grandfather Samuel Watts. He served with the Worcestershire regiment and from the website I have found his details i.e. Watts Samuel 23145 Pte. d. Mesopotamia 29/06/1916 9th Battalion.
I would like to know when he joined the regiment, how he died etc.
I believe he may be buried in Arras but would like any detail related to his grave and exact location if possible.
myk

Postby LarsA » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Myk,
Your great grandfather is not buried near Arras, but in Amara, Iraq (then known as Mesopotamia. Here are the details from the CWGC: ERROR://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_det ... lty=630665

Not sure what the 9th was engaged in at this time, but many deaths in Iraq were caused by diseases. Perhaps there is somone on the forum that can tell you some more of the 9th battalion in Iraq.

Kind regards,
Lars
LarsA

Postby beardie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:31 pm

hi,
by thursday i should have a copy of the new book on oldbury men, so if it any information on him i will post it here

as lars states he is buried in iraq so not a place to visit at the moment!

beardie
beardie

Postby beardie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:54 am

myk,
i have checked the new book, but they don't have any new information on your relative. sorry i couldn't be more help!
beardie
beardie

Return to First World War