The Pte Quinton I am really looking for

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

The Pte Quinton I am really looking for

Postby Jan Salomonsson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:24 am

I was away from our memorabilia and confused before, the Pte Quinton who served with Worc Reg I am really looking for information about is the following (William Quinton who I asked about before was most likely not related to my family):

Herbert Alfred Quinton, Service Number 51302

I would love to know what battalion he served with.

I am also looking for a Henry "Son" Quinton, but I am not sure what his service number was. I have a picture which I will upload if opportunity allows. It is of him and "friend", obviously a sergeant of some level or other (I am no expert at decoding uniform insignias, and the photo is old and small), the Sergeant's cuff says "SP". They are both wearing what looks a bit like a kilt (but has no back part so is in that sense like a "waist apron") bearing some embroideries I can't make out but that look like an "M" with tassles on the two legs. They are also wearing some kind of large necklaces (they look like some kind of cross between a boxing champion's belt and rap star "bling", essentially), with large medallions that are impossible to make out, but vaguely resemble the shako plates on this site.

Both "Son" and Herbert, brothers, survived the war but died from their war injuries in 1925 (or at least this is what I am told, and henry's date of death is not certain).

If anyone can make anything of this, please let me know. I would very much like to know which parts of the world he saw in service and which battles he took part in.

Again, I am sorry about the other post. William is a family name but I can't find a William who went to the Great War in my family records. In fact the set of brothers I am investigating didn't even have a William among them (but a brother in-law, and that's where I got confused, along with Gallipoli being the right general area).

I am also curious about whether or not this is a service number (and if so, what was the soldier?): 49579

Thanks for reading,
Jan
Jan Salomonsson

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:45 pm

If you go to
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals
and PlumPudding his medal index card, it may give his date of entry into a theatre of operations and if he wasn't in a reinforcement draft to the BEF it might be help you identify which BN he was in.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Jan Salomonsson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Thank You!

I have the index card, it says the following:

He enlisted on 23.5.1917 (unfortunately the card bears no mention of a theatre of ops) and was discharged 20.11.18 (I presume he was treated somewhere before being discharged as he was discharged after the armistice). Cause of discharge was AO 291/18 2a (means he was disabled overseas I believe). I also have, among his medals, a Silver War Badge numbered B49579, which seems about right timewise as the B series numbering was started in september (?) of that year.

Action taken says "List L/a/585" OR "List L/a/685" (not easy to make out).

Is there any chance anyone can access the SWB roll and help me find out what happened to him (this is Herbert Alfred Quinton, SWB #B49579, Service # 51302)?
Also, any knowledgable regimental historian who might have a clue where he was sent and where he was injured?

One more thing: The Worcestershire badge (cap badge I think, but could very well be wrong) I have in my possession is a little unlike any of the others I have seen on this site. It is a gold-coloured star with the latin motto in a white enamel circle around a lion standing on what looks like 5 eggs (no plinth). The "FIRM" motto is in a red enamel ribbon on the "South" tip of the star. Between the SW and SE tips a larger blue enamel ribbon says "WORCESTERSHIRE". Perhaps someone can decode this description. I will try to provide a photo once my girlfriend returns from travels with our camera.

Thank you,
Jan
Jan Salomonsson

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:46 pm

I presume because there are no numbers in the box lower left it maybe an indication that he did not leave the UK.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby scully » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi Jan,

Once you have taken a photo of the badge then please email it to me and I will post it on the website so people can see it and respond with any information.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Jan Salomonsson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Hi!

The card is the third type mentioned here:
ERROR://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm

The card has the medals information stamped in like it is on the second type of card on that same page.

I am fairly certain he left the UK as he was awarded the Silver War badge under AO 291/18 par 2(a) ("Disabled men who have served during the present war outside the British Islands, or have served in the field in any previous war.").

And Louis, will do! It resembles this badge: ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/i ... e_1902.jpg
But has no metal between the star and the ribbons at the bottom, and is gold coloured and enameled as I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Jan
Jan Salomonsson

Postby LarsA » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:38 pm

Had he not left the UK, no medals would have been awarded. It is customary for men going overseas in 1916 and afterwards (entitled to the pair) not having the date of entry noted on their medal cards.
/Lars
LarsA

Return to First World War