John Thomas Burton - 36507

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John Thomas Burton - 36507

Postby brown1s » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can help me in my research of Private J T Burton of the 1st Battalion.
I am trying to find out how he died and where, but I have hit a brickwall.

I know he served in WW1 with the 1st Battalion and unfortunately died on 27th March 1917, I have found his resting place in St Sever Cemetery Extension, the only thing I am missing now is how he died, it states 'died of wounds' but not sure what wounds and how inflicted, which battle if these wounds were from a battle. Not sure if I am going to be able to find this information out but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
I know in early March the battalion had completed operations in Bouchavesnes (were his wounds picked up here) and had moved back to camp near Curlu where they were working on a railway construction. The 24th Brigade moved forward on the 24th March again to Bouchavesnes and on the 25th to Moislans, but I am stumped now for the next couple of days up to the final day for John, he could have already been in hospital at this point, I don't know
Any information, of course mine maybe wrong above if so please let me know as I am really at a sticking point now
Many thanks in advance
brown1s

Postby LarsA » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:04 pm

I read in Lyn McDonalds* "Roses of no mans land" that "Died of wounds" were meant only to be used for casualties from enemy action, even though the actual case of death might be for instance pneumonia, septichemia or gangrene. "Died" were meant to be used for accidental deaths or deaths from disease. This at least in theory, I would think the number of casualties and the conditions could make this quite different in practice.

St Sever is near base hospitals in Rouen, so he would have passed the regimental aid post and the Casualty clearing station. Depending on the conditions and number of casualties this would have taken all from a day to a couple of days. If the battalion were in the line or close to it for a length of time before, he could have been in hospital longer before succumbing. I don't know if the Regimental Archives might have anything on this, perhaps someone else can help out.
/Lars
LarsA

Return to First World War