My Greatuncle Lieut George Thomson

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

My Greatuncle Lieut George Thomson

Postby Jenny Tarry » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:21 pm

I have been doing a lot of work on my family tree and have some information from Norton Barracks about his part in the battle of Doiran in 1917. His name was Lieut George Thomson and he won the Military Cross then. I do not understand how he came to join the 11th Worcesters as he was born in the Outer Hebrides and graduated from Glasgow University in 1910. I have his information from the roll of honour at Glasgow University Archives. He was a headmaster in Glasgow most of his life so I do not understand how he came to be in the Worcesters. Can you help? I have put together with the Archivist at Glasgow a portrait of his life combining their information and my family information. He was pleasantly surprised when I moved to live in Worcester!
Jenny Tarry

Postby scully » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:55 am

Lieutenant George Thomson originally was a Private soldier with the Royal Scottish Fusiliers (army number 1123). It appears that he was commissioned as an officer in the field and was then posted to the Worcestershire Regiment, joining the 11th Battalion.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to First World War