The Trench (Film on BBC1) And The "F" Word

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

The Trench (Film on BBC1) And The "F" Word

Postby Martin Newman » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was watching the film "The Trench" 1999 last night on BBC1 about the days leading up to the 1st of July 1916 on the Somme. I dont want to go into details here about the accuracy of the film and production because it would take too long and be too negative.........

I was amazed at the use of the "F" Word constantly throughout, and it made me wonder how often infact this word would have been used in society during that period. How often infact would the common soldier have used the "F" Word? and more to the point what would have been the more typical swear words used amongst the soldiers of that time?

Regards

Martin
ERROR://utter.com/WW1IEPER1917
Martin Newman

Postby Edwin Astill » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:09 pm

T E Lawrence's book 'The Mint', writing of his experiences training with the RAF between the wars, gives a flavour of military men's langauage - and the F word appeared then. von Kluck's name was also a gift for soldier poets.

Edwin
Edwin Astill
Edwin Astill

bad film

Postby CPLCLIVE » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 pm

??
I do not know about the "F" word but I thought the film was terible it failed to draw my interest in the end I just opted out and went to bed
?/?
CPLCLIVE

nevere swore

Postby CPLCLIVE » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:45 pm

??
Back to the subject of swear words in the army a lot of people seem to get the idea that the use of bad language is the norm in the army this is not strictly correct of course thier is swearing but not on the scale that a lot of people would think I for instance had a Colour Sgt by the name of Len Cooper and I NEVER EVER heard Len swear or in fact lose his temper he was a real gentleman
?/?
CPLCLIVE

The "F" word

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Hi Martin,
how is research going your end? I am getting stuck in to loads of new information here, anything you want give me a call. How are sales of your book doing? With regard to swearing in the ranks or in life generally, I dont think there was too much of it actually. Think back 20 years, it was not in films at all, now it is obligatory. From start to finish, nothing but bad language in most films now and it has spread to young children in the street. I am sure if a first world war Sergeant Major heard a long stream of bad language from some private, the man would find himself digging the latrines out!
Best wishes Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Martin Newman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks for the replies Gents. The film was indeed a shocker, and the swearing was constant to the level of damn annoying, but it made me think of the language used of the time and I suppose we will never really know the common Soldiers Vocabulary.
The research is going well Mike, but time is too short as Im prepairing for the Music festivals this summer in and around Ieper. The book is doing well and has much interest and Press coverage in the UK, the second and third book are in the pipeline :)
All the very best to you all, will be in touch Mike.

Martin.
ERROR://utter.com/WW1IEPER1917
Martin Newman

Return to First World War