4th or 10th battalion or something else entirely?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

4th or 10th battalion or something else entirely?

Postby jaybeebuzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:53 pm

I wonder if someone with knowledge of the Worcestershire Regt can help me with some conflicting information I have gathered on the following:

Cpl Ralph Tinson 9751 Worcestershire Regt
Born 24/11/1887, Wyre Piddle, Worcestershire

His medal card states the first theatre of war he served in was 1. France.
Date of entry therein 4/1/1915
He died (KIA) F & F 16/12/1917. Cemetery: Ribecourt, France.

The confusion comes with which battalion he served in. The CWGC says 10 Bn; Soldiers Died..... and the Worcester Regt memorial book say the 4th.

I am now thinking that perhaps he served in both and wonder if anyone can help me work out which battalion and when?

The local newspaper printed an obituary of sorts for him which stated that "he had served with his regt in India for 7 years, and was on the Reserve for 2 years. When war broke out he was recalled to his regt but had to undergo an operation at Birmingham Hospital. He was in the Battle of Loos, La Basee, Neuve Chapelle, Ypres and on The Somme".

The conclusions I have come to is that he started out (pre war) with the 4th Bn and then at some point transferred to the 10th, perhaps when he was recalled? Is the information I have consistent with this theory? As I understand it the 4th's first theatre of war was Gallipoli and we know that Ralph's was France but he apparently went to France before the 10th bn did!

I had also formed the opinion from dates and location of his memorial/grave that he died at the Battle of Cambrai, but did he?
Any help with this puzzle would be much appreciated!

Many thanks!
Julie

PS I realise the medal rolls may be the best place to look, but I can't get to Kew.
jaybeebuzz

Postby scully » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Hi Julie,

The confusion may come from the fact that both the 4th and 10th Battalion were in the area of Ribecourt during December 1917.

I checked the "Soldiers Died in the Great War Database" and he is down as been in the 4th Battalion. This data base also shows he was resident in Pershore and that he enlisted at Worcester.

You will find some details of the 4th and 10th Battalions on this website - the direct links are below:
ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... =inc/bat_4
ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... inc/bat_10

The fact that you say he was at Neuve Chapelle whould suggest that he was initially with the 10th Battalion as they were in that area from August 1915 to January 1916. Also the 10th Battalion was involved at the Battle of Loos in September 1916.

Yes the 4th Battalion were involved in the Gallipoli campaign but the Battalion were ordered to proceed to France early in 1916. They disembarked at Marseilles on the morning of 20th March 1916.

The above would suggest he initially was with the 10th Battalion and a some point in 1916/1917 he may have been transferred to the 4th Battalion!

Both the 4th and 10th Battalions were in the area of Ribecourt during the time he was killed in December 1917.

The stange thing is that you say he entered France on the 4th january 1915 which would suggest he could only have been with either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Battalion at that time!!!!

The Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks may be able to help further. Their contact details are on the home page of this website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 pm

Hi,

Just added the following:

The stange thing is that you say he entered France on the 4th january 1915 which would suggest he could only have been with either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd Battalion at that time!!!!

Louis
scully
Site Admin

4th, 10th or something else entirely?

Postby jaybeebuzz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Louis, that's exactly what I was about to say!! Who on earth was he with on 4/1/15??? We could actually be looking at 3 different Worcs battalions here! (is that a record?!). Looking at the fact that he apparently (according to the local paper) served in India for 7 years prior to WW1, I thought perhaps he would have been with the 4th bn at that time? Would you agree?

The fact that the CWGC states he was with the 10th bn, could we take that as meaning he was with the 10th when he died?

That would just leave us with who he was with in between times when he first entered France on 4/1/15!

Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions. They have been duly noted!

Julie
jaybeebuzz

Return to First World War