Ernest Cowley - 17th Battalion

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Ernest Cowley - 17th Battalion

Postby Leighton Newman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:46 am

I'm looking for any details on my relative Ernest Cowley who died on 6th December 1918 in a Military Hospital in Cardiff.

I believe his number to be either 66491 or 64691 ?

Please contact me if you can help

Leighton ?/?
Leighton Newman

Ernest Cowley

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:39 pm

Hello Leighton,
Welcome to the Forum, I have left it a week to see if anyone else was going to come in and answer your query. I assume you know that Ernest did not start off as a Worcestershire Regiment soldier. He enlisted in the Shropshire Light Infantry and was put in the 7th battalion. He was most probably wounded or at least suffered a health deterioration, with the S.L.I.. He came to the Worcesters around May of 1918, just as the 17th Battalion was being formed. He got the number 64691. If you look at the top of the page, to the drop down section and click on Battalions. You will see the section on the 17th Bn.. Louis Scully has worked hard on this section and it explains all. His Medal Index card shows he was transferred to the Labour Corps, it even has his intended number, 576805. That number went out around August 1918. His transfer to the Labour Corps shows his health was not good and he had been medically downgraded. I can only assume he was already to ill to make the intended move, as he was buried as a Worcester in December 1918. Hope this helps.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Leighton Newman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:59 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great information.

Unfortunately I dont know much about Ernest Cowley and you have just given me more infomation to have a look at.

If you know anything further about him or where I can get more information etc. please let me know. Also where can I find out if he say active service and if so was he injured in Flanders etc

I'm also trying to find photographs and medal information if this is possible etc

Regards

Leighton
Leighton Newman

Research

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Leighton,
there are many and varied sources to look up. I am sure Ernest saw a lot of active service but it was with the S.L.I.. However if you look up the topic called "My Grandfather" in this section of the Forum, the author is Paul. This will give you the locations of the material you want. Start with the Medal index card, this will give you the date he left England to enter a theatre of war, where that was and what medals he got.
Happy hunting Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Return to First World War