23rd April 1916

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

23rd April 1916

Postby Denise Wainwright » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:01 pm

My great uncle John (service No 19440) was killed on the 23rd April 1916 and is buried in the British and Indian Cemetry in Gorre, He was with the 10th bttn Worcester regiment Royal Engineers who I understand where attached to the 255th Tunnelling Coy and I am trying to find information about the whereabouts of the regiment at the time of his death.

I am also looking for information as to what happened to his brother Samuel who originally enlisted with the Worcesters but the details i have give as dying serving with the 14th bttn Royal Warwickshire Regiment on the Somme on 3rd September 1916.

Sams service no with the Worcester regiment was 29806 but then became 30378 with the Warwicks.

Can anyone out there help me?
Denise Wainwright
Denise Wainwright

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:08 am

Denise,
You haven't said it, but presumably you are referring to the Wood brothers.
On 3rd September 1916 the 13th Brig which was made up of 4 Bns of RWarks Pals was to be part of a general attack towards Falfremont Farm, two platoons the 14th RWarks were to assault a German position called the gunpits in Wedge Wood which was to the north west of the farm, in order to suppress the machine guns in the Farm 2nd KOSBs were to assault the Farm under the cover of artillery fire . As is often the case the case the artillery units were called upon to engage targets eleswhere as the 2nd KOSBs attack commenced, and the KOSBs were cut down by machine gun fire. At 12pm two platoons from C Coy/14th RWark attacked towards the Gunpit, they were pinned down in no-mans land by machine gun fire from the Gunpit and the unsuppressed machine guns in Falfremont Farm. At 12:30pm the CO of 14th RWarks ordered forwarded the remaining two platoons of C Coy to join the remnants of the leading two platoons to attack towards the Gunpit which they did under fire. At 1:30pm A and C Coys of 14th and 15th RWarks attacked towards Falfremont Farm, they were supposed to attack under a creeping artillery barrage but for some reason as the formed up to attack the barrage started to fall behind them. With their right flank in the air because of the misfortune which had befallen the 2nd KOSBs the 14th RWarks attack petered out in no-mans land and at the end of the day the Bn had secured only a toehold in the Gunpit position.
Kevin Lynott

John Wood 19440

Postby Mike Jones » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi Denise,
Kevin Lynott has told you all about Samuel Wood, who left us for the Warwicks. John also "sort" of left us, he was attached to the Royal Engineers. They are of course completely separate to us, maybe he had some sort of mining experience they wanted. That is another area of research for you to do Denise. Anyhow he was not with the 10th Battalion Worcesters on the 23rd April 1916, when he was killed. The 10th Bn. were in training from the 20th April , well into May 1916. They were at Blessy, which is about 15 miles West of where John was killed. I would like to welcome back Kevin as one of our resident contributors. I thought we had lost you Kevin. Nice to hear from you again.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Kevin Lynott » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:48 pm

Mike,
thankyou, I have been looking in, but didn't have any information for anyone.
Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Return to First World War