Great Uncle G.E. Baldry

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Great Uncle G.E. Baldry

Postby JacksonAJ » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:27 am

Hi, I am new to the forum, I am looking for information on my Great Uncle George Ernest Baldry, Regimental No 2366. I have a copy of his medal card from National Archives but would like to no more. From information on card he first served in the Balkans. I have a photo of him in uniform holding cane so he may have been wounded.
Tony Jackson
JacksonAJ

Postby scully » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi Tony,

His service number is 23666 (you missed off a 6).

If you can email a copy of the photo I will put in in the PHOTOS section of this website.

Does the Medal Index Card give a date he entered the Theatre of War ?

Regards.

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Silver War Badge

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 am

Hello Tony,
Pte. George Ernest Baldry 23666 was issued with a Silver War Badge. The paperwork that goes with the badge has some excellent information in it. The Worcestershire Regiment Archives at Norton Barracks do have copies of the paperwork. They do have to make a charge to look out this information, I think it is currently £5. It has taken years to collect and digitise all the data, so £5 is a bargain. The money goes towards the upkeep of the very archives we all need. There is a link to them from the home page of this website. They also have a team of Official Volunteer researchers based there, you could try them for more information on George.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby scully » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for submitting the photo. I have now included it in the PHOTOS section of this website. The direct link to the photo is below:
ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... g_e_baldry
It looks like he is wearing a wounded armband on his greatcoat. As he was wounded he will have been awarded a Silver War Badge as Mike Jones has indicated. I would also suggest you contact the Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks as they hold records on the Silver War Badges and could help you.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby LarsA » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 pm

And he must have been not only wounded, but also discharged due to wound to receive the SWB. Is the entry on his MIC 2a Balkans or 2b Balkans?

I can wholeheartedly recommend the archives, sterling service there.

regards,
Lars
LarsA

Postby JacksonAJ » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:51 am

Lars

In answer to you question is 2B Balkans. I will try the site for the records of the Silver Star.

Tony Jackson
JacksonAJ

Postby LarsA » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:13 am

2b Balkans means his first theatre of service was Gallipoli. The date might give a clue as to if he was a reinforcement or landed at the same time as the battalion landed there.

/Lars
LarsA

Return to First World War