Inquiry: Great Uncle Robin Box 1st or 2nd Bn Aldershot 1913

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Inquiry: Great Uncle Robin Box 1st or 2nd Bn Aldershot 1913

Postby Jeanette » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:45 am

I have a post card which Robin Box sent to his sister Mrs Clara Edith Mitchell 15th March 1914. It has a picture of the Members Corporals' Messes 1st Bn. Bedffordshire Regt. & 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regt. Aldershot, September 1913. I do not know his service number and would like to find out more about him. He did serve at some time in the Royal service as a "Beefeater". The 1900 English census has him as 19 years of age, so the 1913 photo would have him as 32 years. I believe he also may have served in Ireland. I am willing to share the photo with any interested parties. Any assistance in tracing would be good. I am restricted to internet acess to English records due to location.
Jeanette

Postby scully » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi Jeanette,

I did a little checking and found a H. R. Box who served with the Bedfordshire Regiment in the First World War. This individual was a Company Quarter-Master Sergeant (army number 7116). Could this be the person your looking for.

I could not find any reference to Robin Box - was this his full name or was he simply known by the name Robin?

I also checked the 1881 and 1891 British census and could not find any Robin Box ! However, as yo say he was on the 1901 Census as Robin Box age 19 born at Rotherhithe, London.

Not sur if this helps in any way.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Robin Box in Mullingar Ireland

Postby Jeanette » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:36 am

Hi Louis
Thankyou kindly for the information. I looked up 1st Battalion, the Bedfordshire Regiment in the Great War and found that they were stationed at Mullingar, Ireland, at the outbreak of the war. I looked at the post mark carefully and the date of postage was the 13th March, 1914 from Mullingar. So Robin Box was there. I have since found that the 1st Battalion mobilised as part tof the 15th Brigade in the 5th Division in the early part of the war.

Robin could have had another first name. This I am not sure of as he put himself down as Robin in the census 1901.

The photo of the whole group is 14MG as I scanned it on high resolution so others who might want to locate family members could zoom in and look. I can re-scan at lower resolution but I think this would not be an advantage. I did notice that photos should be restricted to 3MG. I could cut to a CD if you are interested to preserve the resolution. I also scanned the back which has some details about who took the photo, post mark ect., as well as the corespondence. Please let me know what you would prefer to do.

Thanks Jeanette
Jeanette

Return to First World War