Lieut H.C.Stone

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Lieut H.C.Stone

Postby joy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 am

Hi there, Can anyone tell me anything about Hubert/Herbert Charles Stone
who served in the 7th during WW1. I believe his rank may have been that of Captain in 1918. He went on to become a Major in the cadets. I would love to find a photograph of him in uniform and any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Joy
joy

Postby scully » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi Joy,

Lieut. H. C. Stone was with the 2/7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment as a 2/Lieut. in 1916. He sailed with the rest of the battalion in the s.s. "Cesarea" and embarked at Havre, France on the 25th May 1916. During an attack on German positions near "Port Arthur" trench on the 10th October 1916 he was wounded.

On the 30th September 1921 he relinquished his commission and retained the rank of Lieutenant.

The Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks may be able to help you further with additional information and possible a photo. You will find their contact details on the home page of this website. The researches at the Regimental Archives are all volunteers and rely on donations to help maintain the Regimental Records.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby joy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi there Louis, Many thanks for the information on Lieut H.C. Stone. Can I ask you where you obtained it, was it from Stacke?
Regards,
Joy
joy

Postby scully » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi Joy,

The information about his time with the 2/7th Battalion was from Stacke. The information about relinquishing his commission was from the London Gazette.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby joy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi Louis, Have just spent 2 hours trying to find his entry in the London Gazette. Either you have lots of patience or a secret weapon! Could you please advise me how to find it?
Regards,
Joy
joy

Postby scully » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi Joy,

Yes I agreed the new format for searching on the London gazette website does have problems with their search facility (the old website was much better). Any way the London Gazette page you are looking for was published on the 9th January 1922 - Lieut. H. C. Stone (7th Battalion Worcestershire Regt.) is on page 271 of that issue. Under the heading Territorial Army - Infantry. where it states he reliquished his commission as from the 30th September 1921 (there are other officers in the same list). Below is the direct link to that page (click on it):
ERROR://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPD ... l=&exact=H. C. Stone&atleast=&similar=

Hint: I find that sometimes widening the search period range helps produced more results. For example if you limit your search to a single year then I find sometimes it does not give all the occurances for that year - whereas if you widen your year search range to cover a period of 10 year then it produces more results for each year. Use the "With the Exact Phrase" box to search i.e. enter H. C. Stone.

By the way there was also another Lieut H. C. Stone with the 22nd Battalion London Regiment (different person) which may also lead to some confusion, as he also resigned his commission in 1921.

It would help if the London Gazette published each persons name in full rather than simple use initials for first names, which they do in a lot of cases.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby joy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Louis,
Many thanks for the information & advice.
Regards,
Joy
joy

Return to First World War