Pte David Jones 57522

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte David Jones 57522

Postby Martin Gennard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Greetings from a new member.

I would be grateful for any assistance I can get in researching the history of my Great Uncle, Pte David Jones, 57522 who died of his wounds 13/5/1918, aged 19.

I started out just trying to locate his grave, which I have now done through the excellent CWG website and I plan to make a pilgrimage there later this year.

I have established that he was in the 10th Battalion, but his medal card states that he was also in the Hampshires and shows a second service number - 42849.

I would like to find out why and how he wound up in the Hampshires and exactly how he died. If anyone can help, either with information or by pointing me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Martin
Martin Gennard

many reasons

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:35 pm

Martin
Welcome to our web site I sincerely hope that you will stay with usfor some time, Your Uncle could have been transfered for a number of reasons possibly to bring the Hamshires up to strength is a number one but there could have been other reasons also.I think your best bet is to contact our RHQ Archives at Norton Barracks at Worcester giving all the information that you have on his service ,You can do this from the opening page of this site if they have anything at all about him they will forward that information to you, but of course these gentlemen in the main are ex officers of the Regiment and only work part time also the Archives take a lot of money to keep them in order so a donation to them would be very nice. I do hope that you are successful.
All the very best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby Martin Gennard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Dear Clive

Thank you for your reply. I'll follow your advice and let you know how I get on.

Kind regards
Martin
Martin Gennard

Postby LarsA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:17 pm

Martin,
If I got it right from the National Archives page, it looks like your Great Uncle first service was with the Hampshires, then transferred to the Worcesters. Or do you have information to the contrary?

He is listed on CWGC as 10th Worcesters, which would indicate that he served with them at the time of his death, but no guarantee.

The people in the archives are very helpful, good luck in your research!
/Lars
LarsA

Postby Martin Gennard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Lars

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

I assumed that David started out with the Worcesters because he was born in Dudley, which was then in the the county of Worcestershire. His medal is stamped with his Hampshire Army number - hence I assumed that he was serving in the Hampshires when he died. I have e-mailed an enquiry to the archives and I hope to hear from them in due course.

Kind Regards
Martin
Martin Gennard

Postby LarsA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Hopefully the archives can give an answer, or the medal roll could be helpful. He is listed in the batallions roll of honour,
Jones David 57522 Pte. d. of w. F. & F. 13/05/1918 10th

I have a medal group to a man in the 11th Royal welsh Fusiliers, KIA in serbia with the batallion (no doubt on this) but his medals are stamped Lancashire Fusiliers, probably because he entered a theater of war with them and then changed regiment.

Is your great uncle entitled to a pair or a trio?

Kind regards,
Lars
LarsA

Postby Martin Gennard » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Hello Lars

I have received a acknowledgment from the archives and I await further developments.

I'm afraid that as I am very new to this line of research, I do not know what a pair or a trio is, much less if Great Uncle David is entitled to them.

Regards
Martin
Martin Gennard

Postby LarsA » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Martin,
I apologize for not being more clear. A trio are the medals called 1914-15 stars, British War Medal and Victory Medal. A pair is the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

You referred to his medal card so I assumed you were in possession of the details on that card, the different medals would be noted on that.

Kind regards,
Lars
LarsA

Return to First World War