A mystery, what is the Soldiers correct name and age?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the First World War covering the dates 1914 to 1920.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

A mystery, what is the Soldiers correct name and age?

Postby Barrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:32 pm

With reference to the pencil drawing and the original photograph that the artist used to make the drawing from, 9656 Private Thomas Wilson Phillips, which are posted in the photos section of this site, can we be sure it is the named soldier and indeed what is his true name and age?

Link to drawing and photo:
ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... n_phillips

I have my own thoughts and theories about it and I wondered if any others here would like to share theirs?

A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me the framed pencil drawing, that he aquired for £2 at a car boot sale in Bromsgrove a couple of years ago, he already knew of my interest in the Worcestershire Regiment and thought I'd appreciate it. The drawing is signed on the front, Roger.A.Sullivan 'Nov 98' So we know the name of the artist and date when the drawing was done. On the back are 2 hand written labels

THOMAS.WILSON.PHILLIPS
No 9656 - 10th BATTALION-WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT.
KILLED AT FLANDERS 3rd JULY 1916
(Born 1892)

&

THOMAS.WILSON.PHILLIPS
-CIRCA: 1914
DRAWN BY:-
ROGER.A.SULLIVAN - NOV. 98

On opening the frame I found a copy of the photograph it was taken from which is named, by hand, THOMAS.WILSON.PHILLIPS. if this information is right he is about 22 years old at the time the picture was taken and 24 when he died, looking at his face in both pictures, I think he could be any age between 17 and 30.

I looked up Thomas Wilson Phillips and Thomas Phillips and Thomas W Phillips and Thomas Phillip Wilson on SDGW and the CWGC Debt of Honour and there are no likely suspects and none with the same number, regiment or date of death. I then tried 9656 Private THOMAS WILSON and found him on SDGW & CWGC debt of honour and most of his details matched what was on the hand written labels, however his age at the time he died is shown as 41 years old, giving a birth date of approx 1875 not 1892.

In my mind the picture is Thomas Wilson and the only mysteries are:-

1) why the addition of Phillips to his surname?
2) why is his year of birth given as 1892?
3) Was the original photograph taken in 1914?

From my own experiences of gathering information from ageing relatives about people who have long since past away and of events that happened many years ago information is sometimes wrongly transposed onto old photographs and into note books, although there is usually a basis of fact.

My theory is:-

1) After his death his widow remarried or she added her maiden name to Wilson giving the family the double barreled name Wilson Phillips and it has been assumed, by a decsendant, that this was also their ancestors name?

2) Could it be that the original picture was taken circa 1892 on a previous enlistment? That would make him 17 or 18 years old at the time, the face in the picture could certainly be that age group and although not an expert on uniforms I think the uniform in the picture could date from this time?

3) Because their ancestor died in the Great War a later decsendant has assumed that the picture must have been taken in 1914? The uniform looks from an older period to me?

It looks like my theory has raised more questions than answers has anyone else got a theory or any ideas how it can be solved?

Barrie
"Evil Flourishes where good men do nothing", The Worcesters are Good Men.
Barrie

Postby allanp » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi Barrie

I have found 2 entries for 9656 Pte T Wilson from Kidderminster. Reported 29th July 1916 as wounded. The next entry is wounded & missing 30 September 1916. SDGW shows him as 10th Battalion Died of Wounds F&F 3/7/1916.
Maybe he enlisted as Wilson & dropped the Phillips. I don't think they were too bothered about correct names when men volunteered. There were quite a few that gave false names as well as ages.

Allan
allanp

Postby Barrie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the information about Thomas. I think thats a good idea. I think I might look for him on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census's.

Whats your opinion on the style/period of the uniform?

Barrie
Barrie

Postby Kevin Lynott » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Barrie,

some information about Thomas Wilson

On 1/7/16 the opening day of the Battle of the Somme, the 34th Div had suffered desperate casualties in trying to take the village of La Boisselle, and at 9am 10th Worcs and 8th NStaffs to the east of Albert in Corps reserve were ordered forward to take La Boisselle. The journey of the 10th Worcs was a trial in itself, under fire through shattered trenches full of dead and wounded, their progress was impeded by the wounded being carried out and carrier parties. By the time they reached the front line opposite La Boisselle the men were exhausted and it was too late to carry out the attack. The attack was cancelled and they were ordered back to trenches on the Usna-Tara ridge were they 'rested' under shellfire throughout 2/7/16. The 58th Brig another Brig in 19th Div succeeded in taking the south side of La Boisselle during the 2/7/16 and 57th Brig were ordered forward to the west side after midnight. To avoid the confusion of 1/7/16 the 10th Worcs crossed open ground rather than take the journey through the trenches. The attack commenced at 3am, heavy hand-to-hand fighting took place amidst the shattered ruins of the village which had been shelled for ten days. The Germans had constructed underground shelters beneath the houses of the village and great difficulty was experienced as each underground shelter was cleared of the enemy. It was during this action that Pte Thomas Turrall of 10th Worcs was awarded the VC.

Thomas Wilson wa aged 41 at the time of his death, he had previously served in the South African Campaign. He re-enlisted in September 1914 and was drafted to France in August 1915. He was married to Emily Margaret, they had seven children and lived at 2 Lion Sq. His wife later lived at 39 Anchor Fields. Previously he worked for Mr Bradley of Park Lane. His nephew William Wilson A/Sgt 9017 1st Bn KSLI DOW from a gunshot wound to his left side at 34 CCS on 23/9/16 aged 26 years. So his real name appears to be Wilson.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Postby Barrie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:02 am

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the additional information. Knowing he had previously served in the army makes me more convinced the original photograph was taken sometime before 1914.

In your opinion what date do you think the uniform in the photograph be?

Many Thanks,

Barrie
Barrie

Postby Kevin Lynott » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Barrie,

I am not all conversant with the uniforms from the turn of the 19th century up to the start of the war. However I would say the image is that of a man much younger than 38/39 years of age which Wilson would have been in 1914

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

Return to First World War