Private Horace James Stevenson 14606138

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Private Horace James Stevenson 14606138

Postby Roger Stevenson » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:44 pm

My Dad served 1 July 1943 to 25 Nov 1945

His service included periods at Dover, Ipswich, Hereford, Heathfield in Sussex and Norton Barracks at Worcester.

He was first posted to 23 Infantry Training Centre and on 15 March 1944 posted to the 10th Battalion. On 17 Sep 1944 he was attached to the Sherwood Foresters.

I have visited both Norton Barracks and Heathfield and at both locations stood thinking about his experiences, one of thousands of lads away from their home and family.

At Norton Barracks he worked in the kitchen and unofficially was able to bring home food !
His stolen army cutlery was replaced from a table at the Rialto Cafe in Hereford. We still have the spoon !
I suspect his time at Ipswich would have seen involvement with " PLUTO "
and possibly the deception of building the dummy landing craft.

Anyone with further information concerning what I have mentioned, especially
" PLUTO " and the landing craft deception.

Anyone requiring a recent photo of Norton Barracks, I can oblige with an e mail attachment.

Roger Stevenson in Sheffield
Roger Stevenson

BOOK

Postby CPLCLIVE » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:17 am

Roger
This was in the time of C/Sgt Johnny Sopp had he caught your father stealing he would have thrown the book at him. He would still be in Colchester detention prison now.
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby Roger Stevenson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 am

Good morning Clive and thanks for your reply

The incident re the cutlery set is something we have always laughed about, although as you say, Dad's theft would have got him into serious trouble, as would the fact that he brought home small quantities of food from the barracks kitchen. mother used to say how much my elder brother enjoyed the rice pudding brought home by Dad.
Dad died in 1961, at an age when I wasn't at all interested in his period in the army. I have gathered what I term lost information regarding Dad's service and the Regiment, all of it oh so interesting. something for my grandchildren and what would have been his Ggrandchildren.

Roger
Roger Stevenson

Return to Second World War