William Joseph Peacock

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

William Joseph Peacock

Postby L Hill » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I am looking for information on my uncle, William Joseph Peacock. He was a sergeant in the 2nd Bn, service number 5249884. His death is registered on 26 December 1944 in Nigeria and he was buried at Enugu military cemetary. I have looked up the 2nd Bn and they were serving in Burma in 1944 so my query is what was he doing in Nigeria? If anyone can enlighten me on this I would be very grateful.
In anticipation.
Lorraine
L Hill

Postby scully » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:10 am

Hi Lorraine,

During WW2 the British Government advertised for volunteers from British Army Officers and N.C.O.'s (i.e. Sergeants) to go to Nigeria, West Africa (which at that time was still part of the British Empire) to train African troops which were later sent to Burma.

He would have been attached to the Nigeria Regiment which was part of the Royal West African Frontier Force (R.W.A.F.F.) and would have been stationed at the British Military Camp at Enugu.

Due to the climate and conditions many of the British officers and N.C.O.'s suffered from Malaria. Although they were given Mepacrin tablets this did not stop them getting Malaria. Interestingly, the local African men seem to be immune from it, and so did not suffer in the same way as the British. Some of the British died due to illness as a result of these contitions.

It was usual for all British Army Officers and N.C.O.'s to maintain the name of their parent Regiment and so your uncle was still a sergeant of the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and therefore that is what would be on his war grave.

As the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment were fighting in Burma. The intention would have been that after he had trained a group of local African men for service he would have normally accompanied them to Burma to join the British fighting forces there. In his case he died before that even, probably of illiness or disease.

Suggest you get hold of a copy of his death certificate from the Public Records Office. This would give you more details about his death.

Hope this helps a little,

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby L Hill » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Hi Louis
Thanks for your quick reply.
It's been a question I've wanted answering for a long time as no one in the family seemed to know.
I now have a starting point to do more research on him and I shall send for his death certificate as you suggest.
Thank you very much for your help.
Lorraine
L Hill

Return to Second World War