Frank Edward Sheldon and the Earl of Coventry

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Frank Edward Sheldon and the Earl of Coventry

Postby naomi » Sun May 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Is anyone able to help me?

I've recently started researching my family tree and have discovered a Frank Edward Sheldon.
Frank was born November 7th 1912 in Kidderminster.
I believe he was a member of this regiment.
Apparently....... Frank was on a WW1 battle field, Givenchy-les-la- Bassee, in WW2 when the Earl of Coventry was injured and died in Franks arms. Frank was then captured and held prisoner of war in Germany for 4 years.

Frank was presented to the Queen at a garden party at Buckingham Palace but he was unable to see her as he was blind.
Frank was buried with full military honours in 2003.

This information has been given to me in bits via other family members so I can't be 100% sure of any of it.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me regarding Frank and this ' story ' !
Kind reagrds,
Naomi.
Last edited by naomi on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
naomi

Postby naomi » Sun May 17, 2009 12:48 pm

I spent the afternoon reading this website and found frank E Sheldon and his pte number and where he was held as a pow.
How can i use this information to find out more about him?
naomi

Postby naomi » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:58 pm

New information update.....
Frank Edward Sheldon WAS a batman to the Earl of Coventry and in Jan 1940 was captured in France, remaining a POW in Stalag VIIIB until May 1945. After the war he worked at the co-op bakery and in 1955 became a licensee until finally retiring in 1978. He was a founder member of the Kidderminster branch of the wra (I don't know what this is) and held the position of vice president until his death.
If anybody knows this man or his family please get in contact as I am directly related and am researching the family tree so would like to compare notes!
naomi

Postby scully » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi Naomi,

WRA is the Worcestershire Regiment Association.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby naomi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:17 am

Many thanks for your reply Louis. Having quickly Googled it there doesn't seem to be a direct link to this group. Do you know where I would be able to find information out the WRA? Once again, Many thanks for taking the time out to reply....it was very much appreciated. Naomi
naomi

Return to Second World War