Pt Arthur Hand

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pt Arthur Hand

Postby canon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 am

I am trying to track down any information there may be regarding my father, Arthur Hand who served in the Worcestershire Regiment form 1039-1946. I know he did a stint after basic training standing on the tower of Worcester Cathedral as a gunner and that later he was in Iceland and eventually past of the push through Holland and into Germany. If there are any pointers as to which battalion he was in or additional on-line enquiries I could take, etc out there I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Nigel
canon

Postby scully » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Nigel,

If he was in Iceland then he would have been with the 12th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at the time. The 12th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment were later converted to gunners; and accordingly on 28th February, 1942, the Battalion changed its identity and became the 179th Field Regiment, R.A., and as such were destined to meet the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in close co-operation in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany (1944-45) as part of the 43rd (Wessex) Division.

Check out the 12th Battalion section on the website. Also at the bottom of the 12th Battalion page you will find a link to the 179th Field Regiment which will give you further details.

You will find the 12th Battalion page by clicking on the BATTALION link at the top of the home page then click on the 12th BATTALION on the dropdown list.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Second World War