The capture of Mouen

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

The capture of Mouen

Postby D.W.Johnston » Thu May 05, 2011 10:52 am

I have been reading about the regiments WW2 history after finding out more details about my father "Bill" Johnston (14425773 Pte. W. G. T. Johnston). The information about the capture of Mouen is a little sparse and I wondered if anyone had any more information or photographs about that particular event.

Thanks

David Johnston
D.W.Johnston

Re: The capture of Mouen

Postby scully » Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am

Hi David,

I have sent you an email with an attachment of a booklet I produced in 2006 about the 1st Battaltion Worcestershire Regiment in Normandy. There is a whole chapter with photos of that time covering the battle at Mouen. The booklet is in PDF format and the file size is about 8.5 MBytes.

Do you have a photo of your father in uniform? If so would it be possible to email me a copy for my database and website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: The capture of Mouen

Postby D.W.Johnston » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 pm

Louis,

Thank you very much for the booklet, it was excellent and I read it instead of doing any work this afternoon :lol:

I have a number of photographs of dad in uniform, however I need to sort out the ones which are with the 1st Worcestershire as he moved onto the Royal Engineers in 1945 after the war in Europe ended and apparently got his Parachute wings also. I have a small box with his army documents in, it has the 43rd Div. Wyvern patch, the 1st. Worcestershire cap badge, his jump wings, service medals and finally his Mention in dispatches certificate in a frame.

I think I have a group picture of my father with someone who is a chaplain and some other people in a wooded lane, which appears to be the right time frame. I will scan all the images at 300dpi this weekend and upload some for you to have a look at :)

Once again .. thank you

David
D.W.Johnston

Return to Second World War