1st Militia graffiti from Dover

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1st Militia graffiti from Dover

Postby Phil Eyden » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi, I found some graffiti that I thought I would like to show you.

I am a volunteer member of the Western Heights Preservation Society, this is a small group of volunteers who care for and open to the public twice a year the Napoleonic Drop Redoubt Fort and Grand Shaft staircase overlooking the harbour.The fort was pretty much abandoned after WW1 but during WW2 had a brief flurry of activity, mainly from the Irish Guards, the Royal Observer Corps and as a base to a commando operation.

My current (self-imposed) project is to record as much of the graffiti as I can find before it disintegrates and is lost to the elements forever. I found a name carved into the wall of an 1860s Side Arms store on the terreplein which I thought might be of interest. It reads:

L/Cpl Thornton No.1 Militia Training Group Nov 39

In my ignorance, I have never heard of the Militia Training Group but believe that the 12th Battalion was raised from them. I'd love to find out some more details about Lance Corporal Thornton, and if a photo could be found, could even display him on one of our public display boards at our open weekends along with his graffiti.

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,

Phil
Phil Eyden

Return to Second World War