9th & 10th Bns WW2 N Ireland 1940-42

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

9th & 10th Bns WW2 N Ireland 1940-42

Postby irishwarrior » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:26 am

Hello
I am trying to get more information. on a former soldier 5249669 J.M.AFFLECK (2nd Bn 1933-39) who transfered to the newly raised 9th or 10th Bns.
These Bns came to Northern Ireland,during 1940/41, I would appreciate detailed information on this period.
My subject soldier who has recently died, was commissioned into the KSLI about 1942.
In summary where, in detail were the 9th and 10th Bns during 1939-42 ?
Many thanks
Billy
irishwarrior

Re: 9th & 10th Bns WW2 N Ireland 1940-42

Postby scully » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi Billy,

I have emailed you some information about the 9th and 10th Battalions for the period you are interested in.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: 9th & 10th Bns WW2 N Ireland 1940-42

Postby scully » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Billy,

Found the following reference to AFFLECK in the Regimental Magazine FIRM dated December 1940. It would appear he was with the Motor Transport Section but was then promoted to Company Seargent Major and moved to "A" Company of the Battalion.

9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.
Motor transport Section notes.
Unaccustomed as I am to making speeches . . . No, I'm afraid I've started wrongly, let's have another go.

Unaccustomed as I am to making notes for the “Green 'Un,” I trust this literary effort will not cause too much adverse comment.

Shush ! Shush ! as you are probably aware, we are “Somewhere in Ireland,” land of green fields, pretty colleens, and perfectly foul weather.

However, I do not intend my article to be a running commentary on weather conditions, so will now offer for your approval, “Things I should like to know” :
1.—Who killed the crow?
2.—Which certain R.P. thought he could ride through a wall instead of around it?
3.—Which dark-haired, tooth-brush-moustached, ex-taxi driver had chicken for dinner recently?
Since the " Affleck Sahib's" departure, which caused much weep¬ing and gnashing of teeth (? ? ? ?) I have endeavoured, in my capacity as Transport Serjeant, to uphold the good name and record of the Section.
I am pleased to report that on the football field the M.T. have disported themselves really well, registering three successive victories and well and truly “scuttled all opposition.” I am now seriously considering throwing out a challenge to any of the leading Irish League teams, knowing full well that my boys would enter the fray in the usual mobile spirit.

Before closing this article I should like to offer the Section's sincere congratulations to the "Affleck Sahib " on his recent promotion to the rank of C.S.M.

Again hoping that my little effort does not put too many grey hairs in the Editor's head, I will say, on behalf of the Section, cheerio till next time.

“A” Company Notes.
War necessarily brings about many changes—our movements restricted ; our press controlled ; our ideas on economy, or rather our lack of ideas on economy, happily given a severe jar ; our very mode of living completely altered.

It was with the deepest regret that we learned of each casualty, each reported missing in the regiment; many of them were originally “A” Company and personal friends of ours. From various reports we have good cause to be proud of them.

Good luck to those of our friends in the Regiment who have returned from Dunkirk to carry on the good work of destroying Hitlerism.

We congratulate C.S.M. Affleck on his appointment.

Much has happened since we last sent our notes to “Firm.” We have moved from a delightful spot in the Cotswolds across the sea, and now find ourselves in a green and pleasant isle.
We are able to keep in touch with other Battalions of the Regiment as we are constantly getting men posted to us from our other T.A. Battalions, and on their arrival they are bombarded with questions about friends we served with in the days of peace.

In conclusion, we send special greetings to” A” Company in each Battalion, and trust that if they ever get cross-posted, they will come to see us.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Second World War