Information

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Information

Postby mullers2009 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Please could anybody give me any information they have on the follwing relatives:

-Pte Jack Mulvale, 1st battalion Worcester regiment, captured 1942 and sent to Stalag 344. based at Norton Barracks before the war.

-RSM Samuel Augustus Yarnold, 7th battalion Worcester regiment. Killed 1940 France

Thankyou
mullers2009

Re: Information

Postby scully » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi,

You will find photos and details about RSM Samuel Augustus Yarnold in the Roll of Honour (1939-1947) section of the website. Some details below:

Samuel Augustus Yarnold was born in 1903, son of Arthur and Annie May Yarnold. His father Arthur had also served with the Worcestershire Regiment in both the Boer War and the First World War, as did his uncle. His grandfather had joined the Worcestershire Militia in 1858.

Samuel was destined to join the Worcestershire Regiment. He joined the Worcestershire Regiment just after the First World War and served with the 2nd Battalion in India, China and Aldershot. He later joined the 1st Battalion.

He married Miss Beatrice May Parker on the 12th December 1931 at Smethwick.

Promoted to Corporal on the 13th December 1928, to Lance Sergeant on the 1st July 1931, to Sergeant on the 30th July 1932 and to C.S.M. on the 19th March 1935.

In 1939 he served as P.S.I. with the 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and on the outbreak of war he was promoted to R.S.M. of the 7th Battalion.

During the battalion withdrawal to Dunkirk on the 26th May 1940, the Battalion were holding a position west of La Bassee along the Northern bank of the canal. Enemy activity increased with heavy shelling and Mortar Fire. It was during this period that Lieut. John Francis Betts of 'C' Company was severely wounded in the head. During the night RSM S. A. Yarnold took a vehicle out to fetch Lieut. Betts, but his vehicle was hit and RSM Yarnold was killed. Lieut. John Francis Betts was taken prisoner and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: Information

Postby mullers2009 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:11 pm

great! thanks for all that information, its a great to have so much! i would be exceptionally grateful for any information on PTE Jack Mulvale with whom there is some confusion. the site lists him as captured in '42 but my family have always believed he was captured at dunkirk and ive heard many stories of his time there.
mullers2009

Return to Second World War