Lieutenant G L Revnell

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Lieutenant G L Revnell

Postby philrevnell » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm

I am trying to trace the War Grave (if any) of my uncle Lieut Gordon Revnell. According to Major D Y Watson's book "The First Battalion the Worcestershire Regiment in North West Europe" he joined the Battalion in Normandy, Baron Hill, but went missing soon afterwards. The Commemoration Service in Worcester College 22 June 1946 named him among those lost, but he is not listed on the 1939 -45 Roll of Honour.

Phil Revnell
philrevnell

Re: Lieutenant G L Revnell

Postby scully » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Phil,

Lieutenant Gordon Lawrence Revnell (army number 189415) was from the 2nd (Airborne) Battalion Oxford & Bucks Regiment and was attached to the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment on the 5th July 1944. He was reported missing in action on the 23rd July 1944 and later reported as killed in action on that day (age 27). He has no known grave but is commemorated at the Bayeux Memorial, Calvados, France (Panel 16 Column 1).

It is likely that he was killed during the action at Hill 112 near Baron. It is likely he was with 'A' Company at the time as a platoon commander.

I would welcome a photo of him if you can email me a copy.

Hope this helps,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Second World War