Sgt-Major Bob Howard POW

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Sgt-Major Bob Howard POW

Postby Rob shaw » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi, my name is Robin and I'm currently researching my relative's WW2 war service. He was an officer in the NZEF, Major Colin Armstrong MC and bar. He was a POW in Italy ( escaped and recaptured ), Austria ( escaped and recaptured again ) and finally moved to the POW camps at Thorn in Poland. Incredibly, he make a third escape from this prison and managed a "home run " via stowing away on a ship to Sweden, finally reaching the UK in late 1943. He re-joined his unit ( 22nd Batt NZEF ) fighting their way up the Adriatic in Northern Italy and finished the war as battlion 2iC. My enquiry concerns his brief time in the POW camp at Thorn and I was interested in any information regarding a very kind and helpful fellow prisoner: Sgt-Major Bob Howard of the Worcesters.
My relative wrote a book after the war about his WW2 POW experiences and mentions " wonderful" Bob as the quartermaster at Fort 14, Thorn, handling the Red Cross parcels, etc and aiding in his successful escape. I am a Kiwi living in Northern England and would love the chance of contacting Bob's family ( I assume that Bob may well of passed away by now, 2012 ) and expressing my thanks to them for what Bob did. My email is wallace88@btinternet.com
Rob shaw

Return to Second World War