Roland Mills, Burma campaign

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Roland Mills, Burma campaign

Postby mdr » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm

I am the son of Roland and doing a family history of the Mills family. Roland spoke very little about his war experiences in Burma before he died in 1978. His wife, two brothers and sister have since died and I am very keen to find out more about his war record. Unfortunately, I do not have his service number and have only picked up a few bits of information from another relative:

Living in Wolverhampton, he was conscripted in 1943 (probably).
Basic Training in Shrewsbury.
Additional training at Sennybridge.
Left UK on troopship for far east via Liverpool in winter of 1943/44 (probably).
Rank held - Private
Served with 19th Indian Infantry Division(aka Dagger Division) in Burma.
Involved in capture of Mandalay (or Rangoon?).

My online research on the 19th Indian Infantry Division suggests that he may have been attached to 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. Before I complete the MOD Service record request forms, do you have any way of confirming that my father served with the Worcestershire Regiment in the Burma Campaign? Also, is there any way of finding out his service number? I live reasonably close to Worcester and happy to visit the Regimental museum/archives, if that were to help.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.
Derek
mdr

Re: Roland Mills, Burma campaign

Postby albertsnowdon » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:55 am

try this link they may be able to help you good luck with your searches albert

Andrew Snow
Thailand-Burma Railway Centre
Kanchanaburi
Thailand
ERROR://www.tbrconline.com
albertsnowdon

Return to Second World War