Who bas based/held at Norton Barracks 1944?

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Who bas based/held at Norton Barracks 1944?

Postby Lotus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Hello. I am a local Worcester dweller and I am on a mission which is like looking for a needle in a haystack! My father was born in July 1945 and his father was based at Norton Barracks prior to this. So, I'm guessing his father / the military man in question, would have been there at least until November 1944 (allowing for a premature or late birth) My paternal grandmother (now deceased) changed her story many times as to who was the father of her war-baby and also his nationality but we are more than convinved he was based at the barracks and sent her and her sister a Christmas card for some years after as they lived in Littleworth. It seems quite apparent I am decended from foreign blood due to my olive skin with the only possible source being paternal grandfather! So .... my question is, to try and narrow down my possible heritage ... who would have been based at Norton Barracks at that time?
Would the following have been based there or kept as POW there during or up until those months?
Italian
Canadian
American
Indian / middle eastern / Arabian
Anyone else?

Also, Did anyone of foreign decent fight with or for the Worcestershire regiment during that time?

The stories range from a pilot from America, a Canadian who had Cree Indian heritage, an Italian. Obviously if none of these, or only one of these were based at Norton at that time, this helps a little with my quest!

Any help or information most welcome. Thank you.
Lotus

Re: Who bas based/held at Norton Barracks 1944?

Postby Lotus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

The plot thickens by the way, in that there may have been reasons my father's family kept the identity of his father secret, especially if he was a POW or foreign nationality. My fathers (maternal) grandfather was a Sgt in WW1 in the 3rd Batallion www.worcestershireregiment.com/a_foreign_russian.php see here! And, it is thought someone in the village new the identity of the father/man based at the barracks and he (Sgt Mansell) swore that person to secrecy! Oooh! I hope someone can help! So, an ex-Sgt with all those medals and high regard around him, "bravest man in the batallion" may have not been too fond of letting it be known his grandson was the product of a solider at the barracks!
Lotus

Re: Who bas based/held at Norton Barracks 1944?

Postby Lotus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh, it won't let me do the link even though it is on this website, see Russian George cross medals and Sgt William Mansell.
Lotus

Return to Second World War