John Lyons

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John Lyons

Postby Monkeynumber4 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:07 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to find out details of my granfather John Michael Lyons. According to the MOD he was posted to the 1st Battalion in september 1944, with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. From what I can remember he told me he fought in Holland, possibly as part of 30 corps at market garden, altough it was a long tme ago when he told me and I was very little.

If anyone knew him , or knows someone who might it'd be great to hear from you.

Great site.

Phil
Monkeynumber4

Postby scully » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi Phil,

I believe that John Michael Lyons was an officer cadet (number 1434056) and after training he was first commissioned as an officer into the East Yorkshire Regiment on the 19th February 1944 as a 2nd Lieutenant (number then changed to 308436).

Lieutenant John Michael Lyons was posted to the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment on the 9th September 1944 and renained with the battalion until the end of the war. At the time he arrived the 1st Battalion were resting at the village of Pressagny L’Orgueilleux which was by the River Seine on the opposite side to the town of Vernon. The battalion with 214 Brigade had just fought a hard battle at Vernon.

Early in September the battalion received reinforcements of officers and men who were transferred from the 59th (Stafordshire) Infantry Division, which was being disbanded. The men were almost exclusively from the Staffordshire Regiment and the officers included Major William Harry Broome (afterwards killed-in-action), Lieut. Ronald Henry Jauncey, Lieut. (afterwards Capt.) John Michael Lyons, and Lieut. (later Capt.) Peter E. Gray.

Lieutenant John Michael Lyons was posted to the Carrier Platoon of the 1st Battalion. He saw action at the Battle for Elst during the Market Garden operation in September 1944. He as was involved in the Battle for Tripsrath where many men of the carrier Platoon were killed or wounded. He aslo was with the Battlion during the remaining actions at Goch, The Autobahn Attack and the Ahlhorn Crossroads attack.

I will send you an email with further details.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby Monkeynumber4 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the information.
Monkeynumber4

Return to Second World War