John George O'Neill

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

John George O'Neill

Postby garyo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi there, i'm hoping someone will be able to help shed a little light on my father's days as a soldier in the Worcester's during the second world war. I have no idea which battalion he was in or where he actually served? He never spoke to me much about the war but i know the army and then after the TA, were a big part of his life. As a very young child i remember he spent many happy days and nights at the TA's headquarters, The Shrubbery in kidderminster and that he played in the army and TA military bands. He played the trumpet and trombone in the marching bands but i remember him most fondly, playing in the dance band all over, especially The Old Crown in bridge street, Stourport. As the youngest of 7 children i really was very young at that time. Dad died in 1994 and i would love to know from anyone who knows where he served and indeed with who? I do know that my old head of year at Stourport High School was a close friend of my dad's who also served with the Worcesters. His name was Major James (Jim) Firth-Clark and also lived in Stourport. Dad was born in Manchester and was one of 13 children, he i think, was the 7th child and the first to be born in England, as his older brothers and sisters were all born in Ireland. I have also been told that my dad may have at first been in the Irish Guards and was then transferred to the Worcesters. Again, i would love to know if this was true, thank you.
garyo

Postby scully » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi,

I have checked my list of WW2 soldiers of the Worcestershire Regiment and found a Lance Corporal O'Neill who served with the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in WW2. He was in Support Company and landed with the 1st Battalion in Normandy in June 1944.

As this was the only O'Neill I could find it is very likely this is the one your looking for.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis
Last edited by scully on Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scully
Site Admin

Postby scully » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi Gary,

I have emailed you some additional information.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to Second World War