George Andrew Garford 5254627

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Second World War covering the dates 1939 to 1946.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

George Andrew Garford 5254627

Postby O.Garford-Palmer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:45 am

I am looking for any information on my great grand farther pte George Andrew Garford 5254627 He was in 7th Battalion C company and was killed in action on the 24/2/45 in Burma.
I am trying to find out what happened to him if possible and would like to know a little about his service when he enlisted were he went and the movements of 7th battalion.

Unfortunately I do not have his service medals as they were either never received or lost and would be soon looking into finding out how to obtain them.

I would love to hear from anyone that maybe able to help in anyway.

Best regards
Oliver Garford-palmer
O.Garford-Palmer
O.Garford-Palmer

Postby LarsA » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:18 am

Have you seen this account of the 7th on this website? www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?m ... ma_weedman

In "Burma - The longest war" Louis Allen writes that the 7th on 24/2/45 was trying to cross the Irrawaddy at Ngazun as part of the advance on Mandalay. Due to the river or japanese fire 17 of the Worcesters boats were waterfilled or sunk.

About your great grand fathers medals, they would be at least 39-45, Burma and war medal - perhaps (propably) also the defence medal depending on when he joined the battalion and what their service was after landing in Bombay.

Next of kin can apply for service records and medal entitlement, if you don't have the address I will try to find it for you,

best wishes,
Lars
LarsA

Postby O.Garford-Palmer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Yes please that would be great.
O.Garford-Palmer
O.Garford-Palmer

Postby LarsA » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Here is a link that gives the necessary information.
/Lars

www.veterans-uk.information/service_records/army.html
LarsA

great grandfather George Garford

Postby rach999 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi there, this may be complete coincidence but i'm currently researching my family history with my Grandma. We've been at it for a while and we know that my grandma's uncle is also called George Andrew garford and that he served in the same regiment died in the same year as the one your researching.

What i'd like to know is if this is the same gentleman we are both trying to look up. A bit of information about the family we're looking into, our George had 5 siblings named below as
Clara, Florence, Violet, Josephine and a brother called frederick.
We know his dad was called Frederick william garford and that his mum was called Helen but thats as far as we've got........do you know anymore?????

please please please message me back if this rings any bells, we'd really love to find out some more, I've only got a picture to look at and we'd love to know some more history as well as more family history

Thank you so much and just in case this is not the same family good luck with your research from Rachel and Elizabeth
rach999

Return to Second World War