Sjt A Green 3812 2nd reg 'B' company

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Sjt A Green 3812 2nd reg 'B' company

Postby saabicesca » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello,
new to all this have had an informative browse through the forum and site and have been very impressed with the information on it. I am interested in any information on Sjt Alfred Issac Edward Green my husband's great grandfather.
We have in our possession his army trunk which we are led to believe is dated from the Boer war. The plate on the front states A Green 3812 2nd Battalion 'B' company. And on the top it has the word FIRM which I have learnt from this site is the regimental motto-- so I have already learned something!
We also have a South Africa medal stating sjt A Green 3812 and a Cape Colony 'band'.
Family stories have it that he swam around an island in Bermuda! Why was he in Bermuda?
I wondered if he was active in WW1 and WW2 apparently he was quite a character and in later life took himself off to join the chelsea pensioners!
But got fed up with them and left! Later photos I have seen of him show him to be an army man through and through always immaculately dressed and standing ramrod straight.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find new information. or has any information on Alfred I would be grateful.
saabicesca

2nd Worcesters & Bermuda

Postby smitd09 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:31 pm

My great uncle Pvt 4771 J Thornett was posted with the Worcesters to Bermuda - according to his 'small book' (effectively his personal copy of his service record) he sailed from the UK on 29 October 1897 reaching Bermuda on 11 Nov 1897.

My family history suggest he was guarding Boer POW - but I don't think that's right as it was the 4th btn in 1901+ that did that.

Two years later he sailed for South Africa serving with the 2nd btn earning three bars to his Queen's South African Medal: Cape Colony, Transval and Wittenberg

If anyone knows why the 2nd were in Bermuda I too would be grateful
19739 Pte Fredrick Harrison 4th Bat. Gallipoli 1915
smitd09

Re: Sjt A Green 3812 2nd reg 'B' company

Postby DEEDEE » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 am

Hello, you may be of help to me as there could be a family connection with your husbands gt gt grandfather. Did he have any daughters, who were born in Cape Colony South Africa 1895 and 1896?
DEEDEE

Re: Sjt A Green 3812 2nd reg 'B' company

Postby dcg » Tue May 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Do you know Alfred's DOB? I have an Alfred Green in my family. He was born around 1874. The reason I ask is that I have a cap badge from the Boer war but no idea which part of my family it's from. My family names are Green and Hunt
dcg

Return to Boer War