KIA at slingersfontein 12-2-1900

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

KIA at slingersfontein 12-2-1900

Postby Martin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Hello, This is my first time on the forum and hope this may be of interest to people like myself with ancestors KIA at slingersfontein 12-2-1900.
I found this website in South Africa with pictures of the memorial to those killed at the battle of Worcester hill.
www.thebarracks.co.za/battleofworcesterhill.htm

My Great Uncle L/cpl James Allen 3656 was one of those killed that day and is listed on the memorial.
It is very interesting to read the messages on the forum of the other people from all over the world that have ancestors also listed on the memorial.

I think the men named on that memorial would be amazed to think that over one hundred years later their relatives would be discussing things about them, as much as they would have done between their selves.

This is an excellent website and I will be doing more research into my Grand Father, who served in the Boer War and WW 1 also in the Worcesters and lived to old age.

I hope this is of interest,

Martin
Grandson of Sjt Harry Allen 5958 Worcs Reg
and great nephew of his older brother
L/cpl James Allen 3656
2nd Batt Worcs Reg KIA 12-2-1900 at slingersfontein
Martin

Postby scully » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi Martin,

There is a section on this website about the Boer War, click on the HISTORY tab and then on the BOER WAR on the dropdown list. You will also find some photos and a link to the website you mentioned in the Boer War Roll of Honour section of this website. I am in contact with the owners of "The Barracks" Guest House and some of the photos he sent me are on this website.

Do you have any photos of your Great Uncle?

Regards,

Louis
(webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Martin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Hello Louis,

Thank you for your reply.

The information you mention on the Worcesters web site is how I found out for certain about my Great Uncles death in the Boer War, and the Barracks web site I found by chance.
My Father thought his Uncle had been killed in the Boer War but was not certain and I don’t think his Father talked about it, so it was a major find for my family history to come across his name on the roll of honour.
I know it is my Great Uncle for certain because there is a letter in the family from him to his Mother and Sister dated 27th September 1899 stating his Regiment and service number From Bermuda.
My Father died some years ago so I am unable to share this information with him but as he was a soldier himself in WW2 I know he would have been pleased that his Uncle and his Uncles comrades had been remembered by the Worcestershire Regiment.
There is a photograph held by another family member of who we believe to be my Great Uncle.
What do you do with the photos if you can get them, and do you have any of the other men killed at slingersfontein?
Also how can I find out when and where he joined up?

Regards Martin
Grandson of Sjt Harry Allen 5958 Worcs Reg
and great nephew of his older brother
L/cpl James Allen 3656
2nd Batt Worcs Reg KIA 12-2-1900 at slingersfontein
Martin

Postby scully » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi Martin,

Any photos I receive I add them to the website with an acknowledgement.

You could try contacting the Regiment Archives at Norton Barracks to see if they have any further information. Contact details are on the home page of this website.

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Boer War