2nd Batn in action 23rd/24th January 1901 at Middlefontein!

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2nd Batn in action 23rd/24th January 1901 at Middlefontein!

Postby Cockney Tone » Fri May 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Ladies & Gents,

My first post on this excellent Forum and I was wondering if anybody can help me please? (Typical new comer!)

I have been researching the Boer War Service of my maternal Grandfather with the Border Regiment.

He was wounded during a nasty little skirmish with the Boers 23rd/24th January 1901 at a little place called Middelfontein.

I have several accounts of the action, mainly from the Border Regiment Museum, however reading an account in Conan Doyle's book on the conflict it mentions that the 2nd Batn Worcesters being present and in fact taking the brunt of the onslaught, several Worcesters are mentioned on the casualty list on the web!

I am hoping after many years of saving to go to South Africa and follow some of my Grandfathers footsteps and also visit Middelfontein. I was wondering if anybody on this Forum would have any accounts etc of the action from the Worcester's perspective. This would obviously increase my knowledge of the action and also enhance my visit!

thank you in advance.
Kind regards,
Scottie.
Cockney Tone

Re: 2nd Batn in action 23rd/24th January 1901 at Middlefonte

Postby Luckhoff » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 am

Hi there.

I actually own the farm Middlefontein close to Olivantsnek where the battle took place. For a long time we were baffled by rings packed in circles on top of the hills on the farm, with no doorway. We thought it was old black dwellings. Then I picked up a iron canon shell in the area that was dated 1899. About a year back I took one of my friends, which is a Major in Uk up there and he told me that he think it was an old English camp. You can see Olivantsnek which was the only route from Mafikeng to Krugersdorp from there. According to him bell tents was used during that time and that the door is actually part of the roof. So the rocks was packed around the tent to prevent bullets from entering. If you ever visit South Africa please contact me. I would love to convert the camp into a manorial site but cant seem to find any information in South Africa. Regards Austin Luckhoff
Luckhoff

Re: 2nd Batn in action 23rd/24th January 1901 at Middlefonte

Postby Cockney Tone » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Thank you for your contact and e-mail, I have replied to your latest e-mail but my reply to you keeps returning as undeliverable! hopefully this is only temporary and we can resume communication soon!
Kind regards,
Scottie
Cockney Tone

Return to Boer War