Pte. Harry Parsons

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte. Harry Parsons

Postby maverick1829 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:02 pm

I was wondering if any body could kindly guide me in the right direction with a query about my Great Grandfather Pte. Harry Parsons 7266 of the Worcestershire 2nd Battalion. KIA 22nd October 1914.

I dont have any photos of him during the period of WW1, but I do have photos of him from either during or after the Boer War. My query is relating to one of these shots, he is wearing a dark uniform with a lightly coloured collar, now I know the 29th have a lion for there emblem but it looks more like the Badge of the Royal East Kent Regiment which has confused me greatly as he was born in Rugby and lived in Aston.

If anybody would like to see the shots then I would more than happy to email them. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Matthew Williams (Great Grandson)?/?
maverick1829

Postby scully » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Matthew,

The photo you sent is now in the PHOTOS section of this website. I sent you an email about it.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Many Thanks

Postby maverick1829 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:13 am

Hi Louis,

I received your email and have replied and thank you kindly for the extract and posting Harry's photo on the website.

I have also posted a query you might be able to help with, I haven't been able to get hold of any information about when he joined the regiment or Harry's parents, who I believe to be Tom and Ellen Parsons. I would then be able place where he was living at the time of the Boer War and before WW1.

I am using this information to compile a small book with my family history and I have designed a few pages around Harry, I don't know if you would be interested in seeing those pages once I have completed them.

Once again many thanks.

Regards

Matthew.
maverick1829

Postby scully » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Matthew,

I did not receive your email.

I did some research and found Harry Parsons on the 1891 Census living with his grandparents at 97 Church Lane, Aston. His grandparents were James Evans (b. 1830) and Mary Evans (b. 1828). At the time his grandfather was a Shopkeeper. On the 1881 Census his grandparents were living in Wales, they had a farm of 10 Acres. His grandmother was born in Radnorshire, Wales.

I see from your family tree in Ancestry that you are showing Harry Parsons mother as Eleanor Sessions - I think this is wrong as her maiden surname would have been Evans. You may like to re-check your data.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby maverick1829 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Louis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I have already started looking into the information you supplied.

Regards

Matthew.
maverick1829

Return to Boer War