Looking for Grandfather

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Looking for Grandfather

Postby angiejoy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I have a mystery I'd love someone to throw some light on. My grandfather served in the Sudan, I'm not sure when he was posted there but know that he died in Khartoum in 1913.
I can find no record of any service record but has he was from Gloucestershire/Worcestershire, and the 2nd Bat Worcestershires were evidently there at that time, so it
may just be another long shot. His name was Harold Lusty and he was born in 1881.
angiejoy

Re: Looking for Grandfather

Postby corona » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi angiejoy,
If HAROLD ARTHUR LUSTY born Dursley,Gloucestershire in1881 was your Grandfather then his Army service was with the ROYAL ENGINEERS and the GLOUCESTERSHIRE MILITIA. He may also have served or worked for the EGYPTIAN ARMY after his release from the R E . Both sets of service papers can be found on the pay for site FIND MY PAST .
When he died on 8/11/1913 at the MILITARY HOSPITAL KHARTOUM his effects went to his widow Nellie Lusty.
Regards,
corona
corona

Postby corona » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi angiejoy,
Some additional information for you.
Joined the RE at Bristol on 24/2/1899 as SPR. 2897.Served in the Boer War and award both Queens and Kings South Africa medals.
Discharged as 2ND.CORP.at Cairo 6/3/1906 as medically unfit for futher service with permission to reside in Cairo (Egyptian Army Workshops)
corona

Postby angiejoy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Corona,
Thank you so much for your information, particularly since my grandfather served with the Gloucesters and Royal Engineers and not the Worcestershires!
I have been onto the Findmypast site and have found masses of information on his service record. I already knew about his death.
Family legend has it that he became chief superintendant of the Egyptian Army Stores, which was presumably where he was when my grandmother went to
Cairo. He must have died while she was there as she returned to England in December 1913 with two children and about £200 from his will.
Would you have any idea how I could trace him as being with the Egyptian Army?
Thanks again for your help.
angiejoy

Postby corona » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:23 am

Hi angiejoy,
Sorry I have no idea where you could hope to find the service records of those who served in the Egypian Army.
I wish you luck.
Regards,
corona
corona

Return to Boer War