Bewdley

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Bewdley

Postby Simon_Fielding » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:37 pm

Would be very grateful of any suggestions to research the Worcester's service in the Boer War - especially the five Bewdley men who served.
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

absent minded beggar

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:25 pm

??
Simon
I have just finishedr eading a book "Absent Minded Bggars" Author Will Bennett it covers the voluteer forces in the Boer War sixty regular soldiers of the 1st Bn Worcestershire Regiment where involved in the battle of Ladybrand this battle was a bit controversial in that a volunteer officer had the flag of truce raised with out the knowledge of the officer commanding also at that battle where sixteen volunteers from the town of Bewdley they apparently where presented by the town solid silver medals so I would imagine you would find something on this in the towns archives maybe what you are looking for it is worth a try I would think.
All the Best
?/?
CPLCLIVE

Bewdley Boer War

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:05 pm

That's a great tip Clive - thanks!

Simon
Researching the 75 men of the Great War Memorial of St Anne's Church, Bewdley, Worcestershire .
Simon_Fielding

Postby John W » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:36 pm

Hello,
I am living in South Africa and would be happy to assist with anything I can do from here.I recently discovered my gg Uncle Osbert Wheeler was wounded and died at the battle of Slingersfontein.He was buried at the Springfontein Military Cemetry in the Free State.I drove the 900k to Springfontein In July and was moved to find his grave and headstone in the cemetry.
Regards
John Wheeler
John W

Bewdley War Memorial

Postby trenchfoot1914 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:04 am

I have recently purchased a death plaque for Herbert Bedwell 4Bn Worcs Regiment . Is he listed on the memorial and if so do you have any information on his service ? Thanks
trenchfoot1914

Postby Albuera » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:14 am

Simon

If you contact the Regimental Archives they have some information on the men you are interested in.
Regards

Albuera
Albuera

Bedwell

Postby Simon_Fielding » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:15 pm

NB - Moderator may wish to move this to the 'First World War' area.

Dear trenchfoot -

Congratulations! I bid on that item myself. I hope that little piece of Bewdley history will be safe with you. Well done.

I haven't got lots to tell about Bedwell much past the SDGW and CWGC details I'm afraid. He is listed on the Rock / Callow Hill memorial which is to the west of Bewdley on the A456. Stacke has a very substantial section on the attack of the 4th on the 6th August which I could let you have. He isn't (as far as I know) listed in the Kidderminster Shuttle. I'll see what else I can find.

Regards

Simon

Private Herbert BEDWELL
4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment 20367
kia Gallipoli 6/8/1915
Age 30
Son of Arthur William and Emma Bedwell of Goodmea Farm, Wyre Forest, Rock, Bewdley, Worcestershire.
Helles Memorial, Turkey
Battalion formed part of the 88th Brigade, part of the 29th Division
Simon_Fielding

Bewdley Boer War Memorial

Postby Simon_Fielding » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Just for reference, these are the names and details listed on the Bewdley Boer War memorial which is in the Guildhall or Council chambers in Bewdley.

Capt RH Whitcombe
Sergt WS Mackay died Senekal 21st May 1900
Lce Sergt WW Mucklow
Lce Corpl H Darkes
Pte J Alberts
Pte SH Jones
Pte EH Moles
Tpr CE Smith killed in action Lindley 2nd June 1900
Tpr WH Mander kia Kleinfontaine 29th October 1901
Pte W Stokes died at Heilbron 29th October 1901
Pte A Cuthbert died Kronstadt 4th January 1902
Pte TF Davies died Heilbron 19th January 1902
Tpr GR Scott killed in action Klipdritt 7th April 1902
Tpr William Plevey
Tpr C Hunt
Tpr AH Mills
Tpr A Stephenson
Tpr G Barnfield
Tpr A Mucklow
Tpr BC Finlow
Tpr F Elson
Tpr H Evans
Tpr T Brown

I know from my research on WW1 casualties that Alberts, Darkes and Moles all died in the 1914-1918 war.

Hope this is useful.
Simon_Fielding

Bewdley

Postby Karen Taylor » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:48 am

Hi John - a cousin from Canada here... Osbert was my 1st cousin 3X removed. His mother Harriet was my 2X Great Grandaunt, married to Alfred Wheeler. I have just this week "found" Osbert and am intrigued by him being and dying so far away at such a young age. :(
Karen Taylor

Return to Boer War