Captain George Pope

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Captain George Pope

Postby ricpop » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:47 pm

My Grandfather Captain George Pope was I beleive at the releif of Maffekin and Bloomfontein and was at one time the oldest surviving member of the Worcesters at 99 in 1963. There was an article written about him in the regimental magazine which I had a copy of but unfortunately lost - any ideas anyone?
ricpop

Postby scully » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi,

The article about Captain George Pope is in the July 1962 (Vol. 29 No. 2)addition of the Regimental Magazine 'FIRM' on page 52.

There is also an Obituary of his death on the 4th January 1963 in the April 1963 (Vol. 30 No. 1) addition of the Regimental Magazine 'FIRM' on page 11.

If you contact the Regimental Archives at Norton Barracks, Worcester, WR5 2PA they may still have a copy of the magazine they could sell you. Alternatively they could provide a photocopy of the pages.

As the people involved in the archives are all volunteers a donation to the Worcestershire Regimental Museum Trust is most welcome. You will find a link and details about this on the home page of this website.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby ricpop » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Thankyou very much for your reply, I will do what you suggest as soon as poss.

Cheers.
Richard
ricpop

Return to Boer War