2nd Battalion Boer War (African War)

This section of the forum is for any enquires relating the the Boer War in South Africa covers the dates 1900 to 1902.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2nd Battalion Boer War (African War)

Postby Grant M Hicks » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:40 pm

Can anyone tell me if the 2nd Battalion served in the Boer War?
Grant M Hicks

2nd Bn

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Grant, The answer to your question is Yes they did, you will find moreabout it if you click on 1901-1902 on the left hand side of the opening paage to this s ite
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby scully » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Grant,

In addition to Clive's note, you will also find details in the BOER WAR section of the HISTORY dropdown list. The direct link is below:

ERROR://www.worcestershireregiment.com/w ... h_boer_war

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Boer War (African War)

Postby Grant M Hicks » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:45 am

Thank you all for your replies to my inquiry.
I was making the inquiry in regard to my Great Grand Father William James Hicks, having been told that he had served (in the Cavelry) during the Boer war; the First World War and that he had served in the TA's during WW2. It has taken me about 6 months trawling through any record that I could find, finally I found a WW1 Pension record for him (9548 Cpl James Hicks; 9th (Service) Battalion The Royal The Worcestershire Regt) this Regiment was based in Tidworth, I believe this was a training depot at that time, and to cut a long story short James was only there for 19 days before he was invalided out (crushed foot).
I do however digress , what really interested me was that this record refered to his previous enlistment with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regt, he was I am sure serveing with the 2 Battalion during the Boer War but sadly the pension record does not go into any detail about this period of James's service. Does anyone have any idea where I could go from here?
Grant M Hicks

RHQ

Postby CPLCLIVE » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:06 am

Grant
If you can send all the details that youhave on your grandfather service number evrything to RHQ at Norton Barracks th Gentlemen who look after the regimentlal archives will do there vry best to find the information you require if he was in the Worcestershire Regiment, but they do like a small fee for their efforts which goes to help keep the archives it is not a Kings ransome I alway send something it is a great service and they are volunteers who give up thir time to do this very important work .The connection is on the opening page of this site
All the very best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby Grant M Hicks » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Dear Clive

I took your advise and got in touch with the archive, and have recieved quite a lot of new information, so thank you very much

Grant
Grant M Hicks

good

Postby CPLCLIVE » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi Grant
I am pleased to learn that the Regimental Archives have been able to help you but please remember these Archives are kept in order and run by volunteers and a small donation is always welcome
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

5th Volunteer Mounted Infantry (1900-) & Archive

Postby Grant M Hicks » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Dear Forum
Thank you for your reply regarding my research into my Great grandfather's (4089 Private James Hicks) service with the 5th Volunteer Mounted InfantryBattalion (1900-) during the Boer War, I had already viseted all the places that you refered to in the Worcestershire Regiment on line pages, and drop down links on the web site, I have also recieved some detail regarding the Mounted Infantry(MI) campaign in South Africa, taken from the War Diaries and other sources, however what I really wanted to know if anyone might have read any other accounts in regard to the MI campaigns during the Boer War (2nd) ?

I would also ike to make known my gratitude to the Worcestershire Regiment Archive and to say that it ismy intention to make a financial contribution to the fine work that they are doing.

Grant M Hicks :lol:
Grant M Hicks

Return to Boer War