Pte. Charles H. (Harold) Hewitt

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte. Charles H. (Harold) Hewitt

Postby beaniechrissy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello,

This is my first posting, so please bear with me!

I am searching for details relating to Charles Harold Hewitt, born 4th January 1897 in Minworth, near Birmingham.

I believe that he served in the Royal Worcester Regiment - Gallipoli has been mentioned, as well as Russia.

I have found brief details of a Charles H. Hewitt on another website - with the Regiment No. of 23607, so this could possibly be my relative's details.

The family home was "Ivy Cottage" in Minworth, and his father's name was Francis.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who can give me any further information, no matter how small.

Many thanks, Christine
beaniechrissy

Charles Harold Hewitt

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:43 am

Hello Christine,
welcome to the Forum. We like to help where we can but this is not in the easier group to answer. If you knew for sure your relative joined the Worcestershire Regiment, then indeed Pte. Charles H Hewitt 23607 is your man ! There is only one soldier in the Worcester Medal Rolls called Charles Hewitt, let alone with a middle initial of "H". There are at least 11 Charles H Hewitt's in other Regiments and 40ish Charles Hewitt's. To help us help you, where did the reference to Gallipoli and Russia come from? What else does family "Lore" say about Charles. We do have a Battalion within our Regiment that does fit the bill. This Charles Hewitt joined the Worcesters in July 1915 and did not go abroad till after 1st January 1916.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Charles Harold Hewitt

Postby beaniechrissy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:21 pm

Hello Mike,
I'm sorry for the long delay in getting back to you, but I wanted to get my facts straight.
I have today found some documents on Ancestry confirming that my relative was in fact Pte. Charles H. Hewitt 23607 - he served in the Royal Worcestershire Regiment, in what appears to read the 9th. Battalion. (not very clear!). As you mention in your reply, it also confirms that he did not see overseas action until May 1916 - Mesopotamia is mentioned, as well as Salonika. He returned to the UK in March 1919.
Can you please let me know how I can find out more about his actual Service overseas?
Thank you for your continued assistance.
Kind regards, Christine
beaniechrissy

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920