1914-1918 enlisted men in ireland

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

1914-1918 enlisted men in ireland

Postby kathleen White » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Can anyone help with information on William joseph Connor, sergeant worcestershire regiment ,fought in the great War, was honourably discharged in 1918, and received a brirish pension, any information, much appreciated. thanks K.
kathleen White

Postby scully » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Kathleen,

Below is some information for you. For some reason I lost your original message in the GENERAL section of this forum. However, below are some details. I think the reason for the problems in posting and losing your original message was due to using an apostrophe character in his surname so instead I have used a comma.

Sergeant William Joseph O,Connor enlisted in to the army on the 24th December 1907. He joined the Leinster Regiment and at the time his army number was 8643. It seems that during the First World War he was then transferred to the Labour Corps and his army number changed to 576806. Finally he joined the Worcestershire Regiment and his army number changed again to 64780. He was discharged from the army on the 28th November 1918 ? on the discharge card shows AO (Army Orders) 291/18, then the number 2(a)?.
His home address on his medal index card is shown as 6 St. Itas Terrace, Newcastle West, County Limerick.
He was awarded the War Medal and Victory Medal.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Postby Mike Jones » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Hello Kathleen,
Not much to add to what Louis has already told you. Your Grandfather has two Medal Index Cards though. The second one shows the award of a Silver War Badge. The paperwork that goes with this award has some interesting information on it. If you contact the Worcestershire Regiment Archives at Norton Barracks they have the Silver War Badge Lists. For a small donation they will give you this information plus anything else they have on him. They will not have much else, as he did not come to the Worcesters till around June 1918. The bit on his card about 291/18 then 2a, is a reference to his Silver War Badge. The address on the card is not necessarily his address but it was nominated by him as his or his next-of-kin address. Do you have William’s medals? I only ask that to make sure we are talking of the correct man. The William Joseph O’Conner I am talking of was born around 1890, plus or minus one year.
Regards Mike Jones
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

1914-1918, sgt.William Joseph oconnor, ww1

Postby kathleen White » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:21 am

hello Mike, thank you very much for the information you sent me re my grandfather William j oconnor, I will write to Norton barracks as you have suggested and see what turns up there, would they hAVE A RECORD OF HIS war pension Unfortunately I do not have his medals, I have absolutely nothing belonging to him, but i do appreciate all the help you and all at the worcestershire regiment websitehave given me. Thanks for everything, regards, kathleen
KATHLEEN WHITE
kathleen White

medals

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:06 am

Hi Kathleen
Just a small add on ,you say you do not have your grandfathers medals well I know it is a long shot but worth a try all the same, So I suggest that you write giving all details to a medal companyin medal magazines for a small fee they will put a note in their medal search column as I say it is a long shot but worth a try if successful you may then be able to buy your grandfathers medals back off the present owner.
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

worcestershire medal company

Postby CPLCLIVE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:14 am

Kathleen
I should have also told you that failing in the search then if you write to the company below you can buy replica medals and they will also engrave your granfathers number Rank and name as it would appear on the originals
Clive

www.worcmedals.com
CPLCLIVE

Postby Mike Jones » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Morning Kathleen,
What year was your grandfather born, please?
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

William Joseph Oconnor

Postby kathleen White » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Good Morning Mike, my grandfather William j oconnor was born on 13-1-1890, , thank you for your help, Regards, kathleen
KATHLEEN WHITE
kathleen White

Re: medals

Postby kathleen White » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:44 pm

?="CPLCLIVE"? Kathleen
Just a small add on ,you say you do not have your grandfathers medals well I know it is a long shot but worth a try all the same, So I suggest that you write giving all details to a medal companyin medal magazines for a small fee they will put a note in their medal search column as I say it is a long shot but worth a try if successful you may then be able to buy your grandfathers medals back off the present owner.
All the best
?/?
KATHLEEN WHITE
kathleen White

re medals of my gd.father William J oconnor

Postby kathleen White » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi, Clive, thank you so much for your information re medals, might try that, where would I look for war pension record of My gd.father would you know??Mike told me to write to Norton Barracks, but should I have a name of a person to send the letter to?? Mike if you read this you might get in contact with me again please, thanks to All, Regards kathleen
KATHLEEN WHITE
kathleen White

Postby Mike Jones » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 am

Morning Kathleen,
You do not need a name for your enquiry. If you go to the HOME page of this website, scroll down to the bottom. There you will find a direct link to the research team at Worcester. It has been recently updated and now says there is a search fee of £12. Which is a bargain for what you can get back. They do have his Silver War Badge details, which are not available on line anywhere. They will not have his pension record details. Some (Only a small sample) are available on line at Ancestry . com. The full pension records are at National Archives, Kew under the Reference PIN 26. They are not on line and you must go there yourself or pay a researcher. The actual payments made to a pensioner are recorded by the Pensions Agency at North Fylde, near Blackpool. I have never had cause to check for an entry but am assured they are there. There is a free-fone number to the Pensions Agency.

Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

scully

Postby CPLCLIVE » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 am

Hi Kathleen
Our web master Mr Louis Scully has place information on your grandfather under "GENERAL ENQUIRE'S "
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Re: my grandfather, william joseph connor

Postby kathleen White » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 pm

scully wrote:
> Hi Kathleen,
>
> Below is some information for you. For some reason I lost your original
> message in the GENERAL section of this forum. However, below are some
> details. I think the reason for the problems in posting and losing your
> original message was due to using an apostrophe character in his surname so
> instead I have used a comma.
>
> Sergeant William Joseph O,Connor enlisted in to the army on the 24th
> December 1907. He joined the Leinster Regiment and at the time his army
> number was 8643. It seems that during the First World War he was then
> transferred to the Labour Corps and his army number changed to 576806.
> Finally he joined the Worcestershire Regiment and his army number changed
> again to 64780. He was discharged from the army on the 28th November 1918 ?
> on the discharge card shows AO (Army Orders) 291/18, then the number 2(a)?.
>
> His home address on his medal index card is shown as 6 St. Itas Terrace,
> Newcastle West, County Limerick.
> He was awarded the War Medal and Victory Medal.
>
> Regards,
>
> Louis
Hi again louis, I know this is a long shot but I cannot connect 6 st itas terrace newcastlewest co limerick 2with any information on my gd.father. Could there possibly be a mux up, my gdfather was married in liverpool on 22/12/1915 address on marriage cert was given as 3rd leinster reg, victoria barracks cork, he was born in dublin on 13/1/1890 and my gdmother was from Blackpool in cork. I cannot figure out where newcastle west comes into it, pleaSE PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP BAdly,I seem to be hitting a brick wall here, hope you can be of some help
thank you
kathleen
KATHLEEN WHITE
kathleen White

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920