10944 Alfred Coldicott 4th Bn Worcesters

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

10944 Alfred Coldicott 4th Bn Worcesters

Postby Coldicott » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:41 am

Hello Mike,

I'm completely new to this area of research and I'm fascinated by the responses you're able to give to the various posts and I'm sure everyone appreciates the time and effort you put in.

My enquiry relates to my Grandfather 10944 Alfred Coldicott who I know was wounded at Gallipoli. I have a photo of him, with some other wounded Worcesters, at Graylingwell Hospital, Chichester. I also have some stereoscopic photographs of the 4th Worcesters in India. I'm assuming he was in the 4th due to the link with Gallipoli and the stero photo's. I'm also assuming that the serial number (10944) I've given is his, as this is the only Alfred Coldicott to be returned from the Medal Card search and it relates to the Worcestershire Regiment.

I also think he once made the rank of Sergeant and had something to do with machine gun instructing.

If you can add any further detail this would be very much appreciated. Are there any other areas I should look in that would give additional information. I haven't yet PlumPudding the Medal Card, would this provide any more detail?

I will upload the photo's once I've confirmed a few things.

Regards

Brian Coldicott
West Midlands
Coldicott

Postby LarsA » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:09 pm

One thing you will get is the date he entered a Theater of War. This helps to pinpoint his battalion. I checked on Ancestry, and the date is 25.4.1915; 2b Balkans. This means that he landed on the first day of Gallipoli along with the rest of the 4th battalion.

He has two cards, one for the issue of a Silver war Badge on his discharge. They are both on Ancestry, but one is a bit hard to find as the name is spelled Coldecott on the SWB one.

All the best,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby Coldicott » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Lars,

Thanks for that, all this information helps. I'm begining to learn about the terminology e.g 2b Balkans and I now know when he landed. I've also borrowed a copy of "The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War" (a daunting work) which helps describe the campaign in relation to the Worcesters. Mispellings of names seem to be a common problem.

Cheers

Brian
Coldicott

Postby allanp » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Brian

I have found a report in the Worcester Herald dated the 15 May 1915 of 10944 Pte A. Coldicott 4th Battalion Wounded. If you check back in "The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War" it will give you a better chance of finding out when he received his wound.

It looks to me as if it was during the first days but as it is only a report of a wound and a "in Hospital" report, I would look at the dates 25th April to 11 May 1915.

The Army were pretty quick on casualty reports, especially deaths (because they could stop you pay).

I would be very interested in the photograph of the 4th in India. If you can get it scanned it can be added to this site. If you check the main page of this site there is a link.

Regards Allan
allanp

Postby Coldicott » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Hello Allan

You must have read my mind! I've just emailed 5 photo's of the 4th in India (you may be able to name a few!) plus the one of wounded Worcesters at Graylingwell. I've done this via the webmaster to go into the photo's section but I'm not sure when they'll be uploaded. Thanks for the further information - it's all good stuff.

Regards

Brian
Coldicott

Postby scully » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Brain,

I see from your last message that you said you emailed some photos. I have checked and there is no email from you in my inbox. Can you try sending them again please.

email to webmaster@worcestershireregiment.com

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Coldicott » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:14 pm

Louis,

I've re-sent photo's (and a seperate email as well) to the webmaster address. I'm posting here just in case you've not received them again.

Regards,

Brian
Coldicott

Postby scully » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Brian,

Received your emails and photos OK. Will add them to the website as soon as I can.

The photos of the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment were taken in 1910 at Bareilly, India.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

A Coldicott 1911 India

Postby chrisp » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 am

Hi I have just been looking at the 1911 census an i have come across your Grandfather I think
As Follows;

COLDICOTT, ALFRED SINGLE 23 WORC EVESHAM PRIVATE 4TH WORCESTERSHIRE REGT

He was either in A or B Company

Regards

Chris Perkins

Grandfather - Pte J Perkins 4thBett A or B Company
chrisp

Postby Coldicott » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Chris,

It's been a long time since I posted and having forgotten to change my email address hasn't helped! Anyway, thanks for the additional information regarding A or B Company. I had a good search of the records I could find and was unable to uncover which Company he belonged to. How do you know it was either A or B Coy? I found it easy enough to get index card, Bttn War Diary etc. and press announcements thanks to Allan, but little further information. (perhaps I expect to much).

By the way, my Grandfather married a Perkins and his army buddy (Sgt. George Keen 4th Bttn) married my Great Aunt, my Grandfather's sister (I think it was all legal??)

Cheers

Brian
Coldicott

Re: 10944 Alfred Coldicott 4th Bn Worcesters

Postby chrisp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Appologies for taking so long to reply, the 1911 census is set out with A & B Company then C & D and so on, but didnt acually say which of the two they were in

egards

Chris Perkins
chrisp

Re: 10944 Alfred Coldicott 4th Bn Worcesters

Postby Coldicott » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks Chris, I did manage to find his entry on the 1911 Census under overseas military (i think that was the heading). As far as my Grandfather's records go I think I've got as much as I can find. I know he was with the 4th Bn in India at Bareilly (A or B Coy) then at the landings in Gallipoli, wounded in May and shipped back to England where he had a stay at Graylingwell Military hospital. I've got his MIC and I've also PlumPudding the Bn's War Diary for Gallipoli which made fascinating reading. My son also did a little history project - I don't think the history teacher realised the lads were fighting in Turkey!

Many thanks

Brian
Coldicott

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920