Pte John Alexander Billingsley 41950 3rd Bn

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte John Alexander Billingsley 41950 3rd Bn

Postby fiona whitfield » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:20 am

I know my Great Uncle John Billingsley enlisted at Shelton, Stoke on Trent and died in France on 22nd March 1918, aged 18 or 19. His name is on the Arras memorial. Does anyone know what date he enlisted or how old he was and his short service history from enlistment to sad death. Many Thanks.
fiona whitfield

Postby LarsA » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 pm

According to Ancestry he was born very late 1898 or early 1899. Thats all I found unfortunately
Kind regards,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby Kevin Lynott » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:32 am

Fiona,

John Billingsley served in the 3rd Bn.

The 21st March was the opening day of the Germans first major offensive of 1918. The Germans had made inroads into many sections of the British front. On 21st the Germans pressurised 71st Brig near a breach in the British lines at Vaulx Wood, the 71st Brig withdrew to a hastily prepared third defensive line on the Morchies-Vaulx line which the 3rd Worcs were manning near Morchies itself. Dawn on the 22nd revealed waves of the enemy advancing towards Vaulx Vraucourt slightly to rear left flank of 3rd Worcs. To meet this threat 3rd Worcs extended to the left with C Coy in front of Maricourt Wood and B Coy over the spur between Maricourt Wood and Vaulx Wood. When the newly deployed Coys opened fire the advancing Germans turned to face them, the German waves were stopped. The 3rd Worcs together with the four batteries of 256th Brig RFA shooting over open sights inflicted such heavy casualties on the enemy in the open that for the time being the Germans advance was checked. The enemy encroached on both flanks and the general order to retire was given at 4:50pm. The 3rd Worcs were ordered to retire to the beetroot factory on the Bapaume to Cambrai Road. C Coy was withdrawn under heavy fire from in front of Maricourt Wood, the enemy fire falling on the spur made it impossible to get the withdrawl message through to B Coy. An unenviable predicament for the commanding officer, but the longer they remained the more likely that all of the Bn would be surrounded so A, C and D Coys withdrew conforming with the new line. B Coy fought on and some stragglers reached the Bns new positions after nightfall.

Hope this is of some use.

Kevin
Kevin Lynott

John Alexander Billingsley

Postby fiona whitfield » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Thank you, your in depth knowledge amazes me. This is just what I am looking for.
Fiona
fiona whitfield

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920