Henry John Turton - Regimental Number 399

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Henry John Turton - Regimental Number 399

Postby davem1995 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm looking for information on a relative Henry John Turton who served we believe in the 7th Worcesters as a Quartermaster Sergeant Major.

From Ancestry I have obtained his medal card which quotes:

- Worcestershire Regiment, Rank Sgt (precede by a cross and dots which at the top of the card says "C Sgt" - as near as I can read), Regimental Number 399

- Lab Corps, Rank ASgt, Regimental number 510673

It also says he first served in France 31.3.1915.

I've checked the National Archives but I can't find any papers (e.g. signup or discharge) on him there. He's known to have survived the war but little else is known.

I've really got three questions at this stage:

- Can anyone provide any more information on this forum for him? Especially confirming the Battalion so I can see where they fought etc.

- Would the regimental archives be a good place to go next or would a trip to Kew be better for further information and Service Record?

- Finally, I'm intrigued by the apparent move to the Labour Corps. Seen elsewhere on this forum but I haven't found an explanation as to why this happened.

Many thanks.
Dave
davem1995

Postby LarsA » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm

Dave,
His entry date fits either with 1-7th or 1-8th battalions, both are Territorial battalions. You can either ask the Regimental archives for a check (donation asked for 12£ as they are volunteer workers) or check at Kew. If you choose the latter option, the information you need is the reference number after his medals on the Medal index cards. The archives and and Kew holds the same information from the rolls, perhaps the archives could have something more from other sources.

C Sgt is Colour Sergeant, A/Sgt is Acting Sergeant.

The move to the Labour Corps probably came as a result of being not fit for front line duty any more, could be wounds, sickness or other ill health.

Good luck!
/Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920