Pte. Frederick Chapman, 42212 1st Battallion

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte. Frederick Chapman, 42212 1st Battallion

Postby Chrissie68 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm

I wonder if anyone could tell me where I find the service record and enlistment papers for Frederick Chapman 42212? I have looked on various sites and have found his death transcribed but no original images at all.

Could someone please tell me how I find out where he is buried, if indeed he has been lucky enough to be buried in a marked grave?

Many thanks
Chrissie68

Postby LarsA » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:19 pm

He died on 7 10 1918 and has no kinown grave. He is commemorated on the Vis en Artois Memorial, This lies near Haucourt on the road between Arras and Cambrai.

Kind regards,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby Chrissie68 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Thank you Lars, I appreciate your reply. How did you find that information? I knew the date of his death but not where.

Is it possible to view enlistment papers?
Kind regards
Chrissie
Chrissie68

Postby LarsA » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm

I checked on the Commonwealth war graves commission's site, and found him entering his surname, initial, first world war, army and from united kingdom. Quite a few F Chapman turned up, but looking for any in the Worcesters, and then checking the service number did it.

As to enlistment papers, they are normally found in the soldiers service record or pension paper, which I could not find. But Ancestry can be tricky with the filing. Do you know his year of birth or any possible middle name; it might be there but under yet another number.

From Soldiers Died in the Great War I also found this (I suspect that enlistment and residence locations can be mistakenly interchanged, Ancestry has done that on a number of occasions.

With his Wiltshire background, it is possible his first regiment was the Wiltshire Regiment. When coming to France, the powers that assigned reinforcements to battalions probably decided that in this case, the 1st Worcesters were more in need of reinforcements than any battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment, and so he was sent to the Worcesters.

Name: Frederick Chapman
Birth Place: Froxfield, Wilts
Residence: Marlborough, Wilts
Death Date: 7 Oct 1918
Enlistment Location: Froxfield
Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment
Battalion: 1st Battalion.
Number: 42212
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Comments: Formerly 34392, Wilts Regt.

Perhaps someone on the forum with access to Stacke's book can tell wht the 1st did on this day?

Kind regards,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby scully » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Following on from the information from Lars, below is an extract from the 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment History for that period.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Louis (webmaster)

THE ADVANCE TO DOUAI (6th, 7th and 8th October 1918)

The breaking of the Hindenburg Line was followed by a general advance of the Allied Armies and a recoil of the German forces all along the front. The rapid advance of the British attacking troops along the southern bank of the River Sensée across the Canal du Nord to Cambrai had compelled them to form a long defensive flank to face the enemy still in position on the northern bank of the Sensée, south and west of Douai. Those forces of the enemy might conceivably make a counterthrust southwards against that extended flank. To obviate that danger it was desirable that the British forces between Lens and Arras should take the offensive and should advance eastward towards Douai.

The British Commander-in-Chief had not intended to make any great attack on the battle-front in Artois, north of the River Scarpe. Troops and guns were not available in sufficient numbers to justify an additional battle in that direction. But it was ascertained that the Germans were weakening their forces in Artois to feed the main battle further south; and that knowledge led General Heneker, commanding the 8th Division, to believe that a series of minor attacks might be successful in driving back the enemy. Permission was obtained to begin offensive operations, and during the first week in October the necessary preparations were made (Casualties 1st Worcestershire, 1st to 6th October, 2 wounded.). Then the advance began; and in that advance much hard fighting fell to the 1st Battalion of the Regiment.

On the front of the 8th Division the German trenches were supported by two strong defensive lines, known to the British staff as the Fresnes-Rouvroy Line and the Drocourt-Queant Line. West of the Fresnes-Rouvroy Line the enemy originally had constructed another elaborate line of defences, which had run northwards from Roeux through Gavrelle, Oppy, Fresnoy, and .Acheville, towards Mericourt and on to Lens; but that trench-system had been breached in the Arras battles of 1917, and the British hold on it had never since been relaxed. It was not yet wholly in British hands, and, as we have already seen, much sharp fighting had taken place among its maze of trenches. Those trenches were commanded to a great extent from the height of "Greenland Hill" on their right flank: that height was still in the enemy's hands, and hitherto progress had been difficult. "Greenland Hill" was the key of the situation, and plans were made for its capture. On October 3rd the front of the 8th Division was extended to cover the trenches facing "Greenland Hill," which were taken over (From the 51st (Highland) Division.) by the 23rd Brigade, commanded by Colonel G. W. St. G. Grogan V.C. The attack on the hill was fixed for October 7th and simultaneous minor attacks were to be made at the same time along the whole front of the Division.

The 1st Worcestershire were then holding a system of captured German trenches between Gavrelle and Oppy—the ground on which the 14th Battalion had been engaged during the Battle of Arleux. In front of the trenches occupied by the Battalion was a maze of trenches held by the enemy, some wrecked and deserted, others occupied at intervals with machine-gun posts cunningly sited to sweep all the open ground ; and the exact position of those hidden machine-guns was not easy to discover.

During the night of October 6th/7th a daring reconnaissance was carried out by 2nd Lieutenant S. C. Johnson and Company-Sergeant-Major G. Crump of "B" Company. Together they worked their way forward across the broken ground to the enemy's line, and accurately located the positions of four of the German machine-guns. Thanks to the information thus gained, Major Roberts was enabled to make a detailed plan of attack; and before dawn all was ready.

The Battalion was disposed with "B" Company, commanded by Captain R. A. O'Donovan, in the front-line trenches and the other three companies in support trenches behind. "B" Company was to open the attack. In front the enemy were holding a trench called "Oppy Support" from which projected two saps, "Cruet" and "Chalk." Those two saps would be attacked from the south by two platoons under 2nd Lieutenant S. C. Johnson, while another platoon of "B" Company under Lieut. H. F. Wilkins would fight their way down "Oppy Support" from its northern end, where the junction of that trench and "Link Trench" was already in our hands.

No great force of artillery could be spared to support the attack; but a battery of trench-mortars was in position (Captain O'Donovan was asked whether he would prefer a short bombardment by the artillery or a trench-mortar barrage; he decided on the latter.). For the rest the troops would trust to their own bombs and bayonets.

In the darkness before the dawn 2nd Lieutenant Johnson and Sergeant-Major Crump led forward the two platoons for the southern attack and formed them outside the trenches near the railway, facing north about a hundred yards from the enemy's line. At the same time Lieutenant Wilkins brought his platoon into position at the trench junction further north (The other platoon of "B" Company was held back as reserve.).

Then all lay quiet until, as the first light showed in the eastern sky (5 a.m., October 7th.), the trench-mortars suddenly opened fire. For two minutes their bombs hurtled through the air and burst around the located positions of the German machine-guns. Then the trench mortars ceased fire, and the two platoons of the southern attack rose to their feet and charged. Sergeant-Major Crump headed the, dash which entered the enemy's trench, while 2nd Lieutenant Johnson led another party round the left flank of the -enemy's defence and cut off their retreat. Private A. King showed great initiative and courage, personally capturing thirteen prisoners (Pte. King was awarded the D.C.M.). Several of the enemy got away and fell back up "Oppy Support," only to meet Lieutenant Wilkins' platoon bombing down the trench. Then for a few minutes the trapped enemy fought desperately. Lieutenant Wilkins and his platoon sergeant were both hit; but Lance-Sergeant W. Seale rushed forward, led on the attack and killed several of the enemy (Sergt. Seale was awarded the D.C.M.). A splendid example of courage was given by the leading bayonet-man of the foremost bombers, Private W. T. A. Brown, who in spite of a shower of bombs pressed resolutely forward, his cool demeanour and determined manner steadying the young soldiers behind him (Pte. Brown was awarded the D.C.M.).

After a short fight the enemy's resistance collapsed. Some broke out of the trench and tried to escape to the line behind, only to be shot down as they ran; the remainder surrendered. Thirty-eight prisoners were taken, with four machine-guns (2Lt. Johnson and Sergt.-Major Crump were both awarded the M.C. Capt. O'Donovan, who had planned and conducted the attack, was awarded a bar to his M.C.) .

Then "D" Company came up to the fight. The lack of supporting artillery compelled their movement to be restricted to a bombing attack up the trenches; for it was impossible to make any advance across the open in face of the enemy's machine-guns, now firing continuously from every direction. Forming up in "Link Trench," "D" Company bombed their way eastward along that trench towards the main Fresnes–Rouvroy Line. As the main trench was neared the enemy's opposition grew stubborn, bombs came flying through the air in every direction and several men were hit; but "D" Company pushed on.

After a short but desperate fight the attacking bombers beat down the resistance and entered the main trench. A defensive post was established at the junction of "Link Trench" with the Fresnes–Rouvroy Line. Then one platoon pushed northwards up the main trench to gain touch with the Sherwood Foresters, while the remainder of "D" Company started to bomb their way along the trench to the southward. Some ground was gained, but the enemy's resistance stiffened and developed into a definite counter-attack. The bombs of "D" Company ran out, and for a moment the situation was serious. Private R. Batchelor scrambled out of the trench with his Lewis-gun. Heedless of a hail of bullets from rifles and machine-guns, he crawled forward along the parados -until he could bring his weapon to shoot straight down the trench into the enemy; and then with burst after burst of fire he held the German bombers at bay (Pte. Batchelor was awarded the D.C.M.). Thus covered, the young soldiers of "D" Company fell back in safety to the trench-junction.

Help was at hand. Two platoons of "C" Company were led forward by Captain A. E. Prosser along "Link Trench." These passed through "D" Company and renewed the attack down the, trench. A hard fight followed; but "C" Company were not to be denied. Headed by Captain Prosser they rushed two machine-guns in succession, capturing 17 prisoners. The German bombers fought desperately, defending each section of trench in succession, and several times holding up the attack; but each time the resistance was beaten down by Lieutenant C. Davies, who scrambled on to the parapet and rushed forward with a rifle, shooting down into the crowded trench. Thanks to his reckless courage, the enemy were forced back along the trench for nearly a mile; and "C" Company cleared the front line of the Fresnes–Rouvroy system as far south as " Corn Trench," capturing 36 prisoners and several machine-guns (Capt. Prosser and Lieut. Davies were both awarded the M.C.) .

The crash of bombs and the rattle of musketry continued after darkness fell. On the left touch had been gained with the Sherwood Foresters ; that battalion had cleared Oppy, but was suffering severely from the fire of two large trench-mortars ensconced in the ruins of Nevereuil, which they were unable to approach from the northern side; so after dark Captain Prosser led forward a party to attack those mortars. Working from shell-hole to shell-hole across the broken trenches, Captain Prosser and his men rushed the mortars with the bayonet, captured them and dragged them back in triumph.

That night the firing died away and losses were reckoned; which proved unexpectedly light, less than 20 (One killed, two officers ?. H. F. Wilkins and 2Lt. C. E. ? and sixteen, other ranks wounded.) in all. The day had been very successful. Away to the southward Colonel Grogan's Brigade had captured "Greenland Hill" and the trenches around Biache St. Vaast.

After a quiet night, all made ready to renew the fight next morning. In the first light (October 8th) the Worcestershire bombers advanced cautiously; but no opposition was met. The enemy had abandoned their support trenches, had completely evacuated the Fresnes–Rouvroy Line, and had retreated across the open to their next system of defences, the Drocourt-Queant Line, nearly two miles away.

Outposts were established in the open country; and after dark on October 8th a daring Worcestershire patrol made their way forward up the road from Nevireuil to Izel,as far as the outskirts of the latter village. There they took cover and listened for some time to the talking of the enemy outposts along the ruined houses before making their way back. Late that night the 2nd Northamptonshire, hitherto in reserve, came forward through the captured line and advanced across country. The Northamptonshire established a new line close to Izel, while behind them the Worcestershire laboured during the next few days on improving the defences of the captured trenches.

The Drocourt–Queant Line, which now faced the 8th Division, looked formidable. Air photographs reveiled it as an elaborate system of trenches well protected by wire; but the morale of such prisoners as were captured seemed low. The lack of artillery precluded anything like a general attack all along the line; but it was hoped that if a sudden and concentrated attack at one point could effect a breach, the dispirited enemy might abandon the position.

Once again the ground on the right flank was the more favourable, and the operation was entrusted to Colonel Grogan's Brigade.

Postby Chrissie68 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Thank you Scully for your reply.

I must admit to never having read any accounts of action in WW1, and found that incredibly moving. And surprisingly very vivid.

But does that account mean that in the days from October 1st to October 8th, 1st Batallion suffered one loss of life, and it is safe to assume that to be Frederick Chapman, knowing that he died on October 7th? How can I find out more personal details? Is there somewhere I can visit to see records?

I apologise for asking so many questions, but I really want to know what happened to Frederick.

Kind regards
Chrissie
Chrissie68

Postby scully » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi Chrissie,

I have checked the Roll of Honour for the 7th October 1918 and it would appear that only one person of the 1st Battalion was killed on that day. So it is fair to assume that the refernce to "One killed...." in the regimental history must have been Frederick Chapman.

Without his service records it would be very difficult to fine more information on him. Most of the First World War service records were destroyed or damaged in the Second World War by bombing/fire.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Chrissie68 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:48 am

Thank you for looking for me. I appreciate your help.

I've had a bit of a breakthrough. My dad told me last nigh that his daughter still lives in the village he was born in. She's in her nineties, and I now remember meeting her a few years ago at a funeral. So I am going to make contact and go and visit. Hopefully she can give me a few more details.

Thanks again for all your help.
Chrissie68

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920