Fred Lynch

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Fred Lynch

Postby brookswashere » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 pm

hi , im doing the family tree thing , and am trying to find out more about my uncle, Fred lynch who stayed in the forces all his life, some pictures or an insght into his carear would be most welcome , as i never saw much of him.
I'm sure he served in Malaya ,N Ireland and Germany.

Thanks
Marc Lynch
brookswashere

RANK

Postby CPLCLIVE » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:10 am

Marc
What rank did he attain?
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby brookswashere » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 am

lieutenant colonel i think.
brookswashere

good shot

Postby CPLCLIVE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Marc
It appears that you are looking for one if not the best shot the Worcesters ever had he was my CSM for a time he was very much respected in the Battalion, if you require photographs of him then I would contact RHQ at Norton Barracks who possibly have quite a few of him.
All the best
Clive
CPLCLIVE

Postby brookswashere » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks Clive,
Shooting must be in the blood, my dad was a good shot , and im not bad when i get time to go.
regards Marc
brookswashere

Postby LarsA » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Clive,
Good to see you back on the forum again!

Kind regards,
Lars
In memory of
17239 R J Washington MM, TEM, 2nd & 8th btn WWI
7852 W Russell, 2nd & 9th btn WWI
J Davies, 1st btn WWII, POW at Tobruk
4197291 Pte F Sheridan, POW France 1940
LarsA

Postby brookswashere » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:46 am

My mum came up with the goods, have emailed photo's to the regiment webmaster, hope you get to see them.
brookswashere

Postby scully » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your emails and the photos which I will add to a separate page on the website with information about his life in the army as soon as I can. In the meantime below is some information on your uncle which you may find of interest:

Lieut.-Colonel (Q.M.) Federick Victor Henry Lynch, M.B.E.
Known as "Joe" Lynch was conscripted into the Army on 4th October, 1945, at Bury St. Edmunds, which was then the assembly point for the General Service Corps. Later that year he was posted to the Depot of The Worcestershire Regiment at Norton Barracks.

After just 2 years he reached the rank of Sergeant. He served as a Sergeant at Oswestry and the Regimental Depot and with 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment in Berlin and Malaya. In 1955 he was promoted to Warrant Officer in Iserlohn and remained with the 1st Battalion until joining 7th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment at Worcester as R.S.M. (Regimental Sergeant Major) in June 1959. Then, after a short spell with Birmingham University O.T.C. (Officer Training Cadets) he returned to the 1st Battalion, as R.S.M., in Minden, Germany. Three years later he was commissioned as an officer on probation with the rank of 2nd Lieutenant (Quartermaster) and was promoted to Lieutenant (Quartermaster) on the 1st August 1966. He remained with 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment until it amalgamation with the Sherwood Forester Regiment in 1970, when he then became Technical Quartermaster to 1st Battalion Worcestershire & Forester Regiment in Warminster. In 1972 he became Quartermaster and served for a further seven years with the 1st Battalion in Northern Ireland, Colchester and Belize.

During his service his contribution to the Regimental Bisley Shooting Team is legendary, spanning a period of over 30 years. He was first picked for the Battalion Shooting Team in 1948 and missed only when he was serving in Malaya, the West Indies and at Birmingham University. He was a member of the victorious 1st battalion Worcestershire Regiment teams of 1955 and 1964, but it was not until he took charge of the Bisley Team that consistent success occurred. During his captaincy the team was placed first on five occasions and runners-up a further five times.

In the Queen's Jubilee Year (1977) he was awarded the Jubilee Medal and the M.B.E.

In November 1979 he left the 1st Battalion to take up the appointment of S.S.O. 2 (Senior Staff Office - Grade 2) Quartering, Berlin Infantry Brigade.

On the 25th June 1982 he retired from the Army. He then took up the position of Manager of the British Berlin Yacht Club.

Hope this helps,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby brookswashere » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:13 pm

Couldn't ask for more cheers Louis. Did you men know he sadly past away in 2005?
brookswashere

Postby scully » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Yes Marc.

The information I have is that he died at North Luffenham, Rutland on 22nd January 2005 aged 77. I also understand he was born on the 22nd September 1927 and brought up in Eye in Suffolk. He married Betty B. Rudge in Worcester in 1954 but do not have the exact date of the marriage. Did they have any children?

I am currently working on a webpage about him and will add it to the website with your photos when I have finished it.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920