Seeking information 240467 Cpl. Percy Victor Allen 8th Worcs. Reg't

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Seeking information 240467 Cpl. Percy Victor Allen 8th Worcs. Reg't

Postby David Green » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Hello

Just found this fabulous website, lots of great reading here!

I'm seeking information on my maternal grandfather, Percy Victor Allen. He was in the 2nd Worcesters in WW1 but I don't know which Battalion. I know he got "a Blighty one" at some point and was sent home, but don't know when or the nature of his wounds. If anyone has access to any sources/resources and would be so kind as to do a little digging I would be most grateful. I will be submitting some pics of him from the war soon.
Thanks very much.

David
Grandson of Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 240467, 8th Worcestershire Reg't.
David Green

Postby scully » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi David,

According to his medal card he had two army numbers - initially it was 2386 and then later changed to 240467.
He entered the Theatre of War in France on the 1st April 1915.
He was awarded the 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.
He was discharged due to been unfit for service (wounds) and was awarded the Silver War Badge (you will find he is listed on this website in the Silver War Badge section.
He is listed on the Silver War Badge List - reference number LA/1753

The Regimental Archives at Worcester hold details of all Worcestershire Regiment men on the Silver War Badge list so they may have more details about him. Their contact details are on the home page of this website.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

RE: Seeking information 240467 Cpl. Percy Victor Allen

Postby David Green » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi Louis

Thanks so much for all that information, that's a large help to me. I'll contact the Regimental Archives and see what information they have as well.

As for my statement "I will be submitting some fruit of him from the war soon."—God knows where that came from! I meant to say "photos".....I was listening to the radio while typing, so may some subliminal switch happened!

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
David
Grandson of Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 240467, 8th Worcestershire Reg't.
David Green

Postby scully » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi David,

I have sorted out the strange word change to "fruit" in your first message. It was due to a software issue which I have now corrected. The word you used was "pics".

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920