Pte 51194 Frederick John Bartlett 10 Bn

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Pte 51194 Frederick John Bartlett 10 Bn

Postby Hampshire Sue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:50 pm

I am trying to trace the enlistment date of my uncle, Fred Bartlett. We know that he enlisted in Brockenhurst, Hampshire (although the family lived in Lyndhurst).

His DoB was 24 April 1899. We know that he was in France with the Worcesters by 7 April 1918 (just before his 19th birthday). He died of wounds at Chambrecy, France on 30 May 1918.

I have a copy of his birth certificate, which was issued on 1 February 1917. Would this have any relevance to his enlistment date?

I have a copy of his medal index card from the National Archive but this does not give any further information about his service. His service record is not available - presumably one of those that went up in smoke during WW2!

I should be grateful if anyone can give me any help or clues towards finding out his date of enlistment. I am able, if necessary, to visit the National Archives.

Many thanks

Sue
Hampshire Sue

Postby scully » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi Sue,

If it helps I found a group of Worcestershire Regiment men all with surnames stating with the letter B with army numbers from 51192 to 51197 all in sequence.
There is a Private Joseph James Benson with number 51197 who enlisted on the 17th May 1917.

As you mentioned the issued date of his birth certificate which was dated in Feb 1917 then it is very likely he enlisted also in May 1917.

They may be others on the forum that can help.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Hampshire Sue » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

Hi Louis

Thanks for this information. It helps to fill in the blanks in what we know about Fred.

What would have happened to recruits after they enlisted at this stage of the war. Is it likely that April 1918 would have been the first time he would have been to France if he enlisted in May 1917? Were there any age or length of service restrictions as to when soldiers could be posted abroad?

Many thanks

Sue
Hampshire Sue

Postby scully » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi Sue,

Initially he would have been posted to the a training battalion (possibly the 47th T. R. Battalion) and after about 5 months would have then most likely have transferred to the 5th (Reserve) Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. It would then be quite likely that he would have been posted overseas about November or December 1917 as part of a draft of new men to replace those that had been wounded or killed.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Louis
scully
Site Admin

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920