2386 (& 240467) Cpl Percy Victor Allen, 8th Worcs.

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

2386 (& 240467) Cpl Percy Victor Allen, 8th Worcs.

Postby David Green » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 am

Hello

I'm wondering why my grandfather's service number would have changed. Upon enlistment (and how can I find out when/where that was?) it was 2386 and then later became 240467. Was that due to some type of reorganisation? I know he was sent back to England after being severely wounded at some point (and if anyone can point me in the direction where I can research that, I'd be most grateful.)

David Green
Grandson of Cpl. Percy Victor Allen, 240467, 8th Worcestershire Reg't.
David Green

Re: 2386 (& 240467) Cpl Percy Victor Allen, 8th Worcs.

Postby scully » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi David,

Private Percy Victor Allen (2386) entered the theatre of war in France on the 1st April 1915. On the 30th March 1915, the move to France began. The 1/8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment bade farewell to their billets of the winter, entrained at Maldon East station and after dusk and began their journey to the Western Front. The Battalion embarked at Folkstone on the ship SS “Invicta” and sailed to Boulogne.

He was later wounded and was returned to the UK and was awarded the Silver War Badge (sometimes referred to as the Wounds Badge) and at that time his number changed to 240467 as he was now with the Labour Corps. On the Silver War Badge records his rank is listed as Private (Acting Corporal). His Silver War Badge referrence number is LA/1753 (the LA stands for Labour Corps). These records are held at the National Archives at Kew and may give you additional information.

Under the AWARDS section of this website you will find details about the Silver War Badge.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby David Green » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Thank you Louis, for that quick reply. You had given me some of that information already a couple of years ago, so thank you for the additional information. I had no idea that he had been transferred to the Labour Corps, nor did I have details about his travel and embarkation. Did you get that information from a unit diary? Is it online perchance?

I have his War Medal and his Victory Medal, sans ribbons unfortunately, but not his Silver War badge unfortunately. Can you suggest any areas I might look to find out about his injuries, (where, when, etc.). My mother seems to believe he was working at the Records Office in Worcester by the end of the War; he had been a clerk before the war so perhaps when he was transferred to the Labour Corps he was detailed to that office. I had inquired there about 10 years ago when I was in England but they had no records of wartime employees, so I was told. I'll see what I can find online with the national Archives, regarding getting copies of his file for the Labour Corps

Thanks kindly for your assistance.

David
David Green

Postby scully » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi David,

A limited amount of information was on his medal index card including the date I gave you. It also states he was awarded the following medals:
1915 Star
British War Medal
Victory Medal

Also the SWB (Silver War Badge). You will find his name is on the SWB list on this website. The Regimental Archives do have more details with regards his SWB and I suggest you try contact them directly. Their contact details are on the home page of this website. Alternatively, The National Archives at Kew also hold all the details.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby allanp » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi David

I have found 2 references for you:-

22nd May 1915 edition of the Worcester Herald
Wounded
2386 Pte N. P. V. Allen Rifle grenade wound neck and hand

22nd May 1915 edition of the Bromsgrove Messanger
7th Battalion Casualties 9 May 1915
2386 Pte P. V. Allen 8th Batt Granade wound head & neck severe

Hope this helps

Regards
Allan
12631 Lance Sergt George William Hill. KIA Vimy Ridge, 28 April 1916 3rd Battalion
allanp

Postby David Green » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 am

Hello Allan

Just found the notification of your reply in my Spam folder, so my apologies for not thanking you before now. Much obliged for the information!! Every little bit helps.
Kind regards,
David
David Green

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920