CSM John William Smith, 7139

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

CSM John William Smith, 7139

Postby Tiatia67 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Hello, I am trying to find any information at all on my husbands great uncle, CSM John William Smith (Jack). He died on 12th April 1918 and we have visited his grave in Underhill Farm Cemetary but we are keen to understand more of his army life. Hope you can help.
Tiatia67

Re: CSM John William Smith, 7139

Postby scully » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi,

John William Smith enlisted in Birmingham. He served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment as a Company Sergeant Major. He was killed in action on the 12th April 1918. Below is an extract from the Regimental History for that day:

THE BATTLE OF BAILLEUL (12th April 1918)
Dawn of April 12th was ushered in by gun-fire from every side. Along the whole Lys battlefront the German forces advanced with determination and in great strength. The German Sixth Army struck up the valley of the Lys direct for Hazebrouck: the German Fourth Army attacked to gain the range of heights which rise behind Bailleul. From the high ground held by the 2nd Worcestershire at Neuve Eglise the enemy could Own plainly be seen advancing over the southern shoulder of the Messines Ridge. Field-glasses showed, the German forces coming on past Ploegsteert Wood in irregular formation, their companies and
platoons working forward along the folds of the ground and up the hedges and ditches. Mounted men—officers or despatch riders—could be seen moving about, and batteries of artillery could be seen on the roads. The whole countryside seemed full of the moving enemy.

The enemy though visible were nevertheless too far distant for musketry to be effective; and premature firing would disclose the position of the defence. So the Worcestershire companies remained quiet in their trenches under an intermittent bombardment. Close in front of the "Army Line" trenches the hillside was much enclosed with hedges and obscured by trees. Two "fighting patrols" were sent out (It was not known whether any of our own troops were still east of the "Army Line"), led by 2/Lieuts. H. J. Nicklin and F. G. Parry with orders to engage the enemy's advanced troops and deceive them as to the real position. Those two patrols (Each 25 strong with a Lewis-gun.) did admirable work. Working cautiously from hedge to hedge they made their way past Petit Pont and encountered the advancing enemy south of L'Alouette. Both subalterns handled their men with great ability and held back the enemy for some hours. Eventually the German advanced troops were heavily reinforced and pressed round the flanks of the two patrols, forcing them to fall back. Still fighting, they withdrew safely to the trenches held by the Battalion (Casualties of the two patrols were slight, 2/Lieut. Nicklin's party losing only one man. 2/Lieut. Nicklin was awarded the M.C. The other party lost three, but reckoned to have accounted for forty of the enemy). So successful had been the delaying action of the two patrols that the enemy's advanced troops did not come close to the "Army Line" trenches until the afternoon: then there was a sharp interchange of fire, which continued until nightfall. Batteries of field artillery came trotting forward in full view, unlimbered and bombarded Neuve Eglise over open sights, causing a stampede
of the last remaining inhabitants (At nightfall Battalion H.Q. of the 2nd Worcestershire was shifted from a dugout where it had first been located
back to the Brewery on the Leinster Road).

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Re: CSM John William Smith, 7139

Postby Tiatia67 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply, the information is very useful, I think Jack Smith was a regular who had served in Egypt before WW1. My Great Aunt went to Egypt with him so I am assuming that they were in married quarters. According to the records we have Jack was in Aldershot on 4th August 1914 and landed Boulogne 14th August 1914. I do not know however when he originally joined up in Birmingham.
Tiatia67

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920