Andrew George Harrison Reg No. 9807

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

Andrew George Harrison Reg No. 9807

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

Hello

I have just found my great grandads Silver badge card (?) on the National Archives website and PlumPudding it. I have been looking all over to see who he served with in WW1 and its the Worcester Regiment
Now I have his number 9807 and dates of service:
Enlisted 24.11.14
D/Chge 28.9.18

How can I go about tracking his movements when in the army. With the above information can I get to see which Battalion he was in ? and if so is there a "diary" for all their movements ?
I also have his brother's sign up papers he was Moses Harrison and was in 2/8th Battalion, which I beleive was a reserve battailion Home Guard ? did they ever go abroad ?

Thanks in advance for any help
mrman

Re: Andrew George Harrison Reg No. 9807

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 am

Just noticed on the Silver War Badge section his number is listed as 9087 instead of 9807 on his card if that makes any difference.

Thanks
mrman

Postby scully » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:17 am

Hi,

There may be an error with the number on the website will check and correct.

Andrew George Harrison 9807 served with the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment from 18th February 1915. It would appear that he arrived with a group of new men and landed in France on that date.

His name was also listed as George Andrew Harrison

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 am

great, Thats amazing thankyou so much for getting that information for me.
Just 3 more questions :)

1. Where did you find this information and is it in the public domain please ?
2. Would it be safe to say (as he was in till 1918) that he took part in pretty much all the engagements of the 2nd battalion throughout the war ?
3. Is there a diary of where and what the battalion were doing during the war by day or by week etc ?

Thanks again for all your help it is much appreciated.
mrman

Postby scully » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:09 am

Hi,

The Regimental Archives at Worcester have copies of the 2nd Battalion War Diaries. You will find their contact details on the home page of this website.

The 2/8th Battalion landed in France on 24th May 1916. In August 1916 they became part of the 183rd Brigade, 61st Division.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 am

Absolutley fantastic, thankyou so much for all your help. Its a very humbling experience learning what these men did.

Again much appreciated.
mrman

Postby scully » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:23 am

Hi,

I have sent you an email with some information attached.

The details about the 2nd Battalion are from his Medal Index Card (they are held at Kew - National Archives).

It is likely he was with the 2nd Battalion until he was discharged. The Silver War Badge information would suggest he was discharged due to sickness.

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi

Just got your email. Cant thankyou enough for your help and information. The sickness would ring true as my dad remembers him having been gassed and always having a bad zzzz cough until he died, not sure if thats what eventually led to his death. He also remembers the story that Andrew George Harrison was promoted (maybe to seargent) whilst out there and had a "disagreement" with an officer about bringing his men back from a certain area as they were all badly injured, he was told to take them back and refused unless they got medical attention, for this he was demoted and given field punishment by being tied to a cartwheel for a number of days. I have read in other accounts that this was Field Punishment No. 1. Consisting of 2 hours on the wheel and 4 hours off rotated day or night.
An unbeleivably tough life these men had, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all who served.

Thankyou again for what you have given me, I shall be reading all weekend.
mrman

Postby corona » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi mrman,
The Harrison family of Stourport including Andrew and Moses Jnr.were living at
7 SION GARDENS STOURPORT on the 1901 Census and at 15 LICKHILL ROAD on the1911 Census.
No WW1 service papers other than the M I C card,appear to have survived for Andrew but papers
for Moses Jnr.can be found on the pay for site Ancestry.
However the the pre WW1 6th Batt. MILITIA papers have survived for 7258 Pte. Andrew George Harrison
on the other pay for site Find my Past.
He is listed as aged 17yrs 10 months and single ,living at the family home,an iron worker for S Roden.
Regards, corona
corona

Postby mrman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:23 pm

Absolutely brilliant. Thankyou for all that information, I have been looking at the information you sent me and have found Festubert on google earth and exactly where the 2nd went in during the assault. Amazing. Thanks again for the information I will certainly be checking out the sites you mentioned.
mrman

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920