J Lamonte

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

J Lamonte

Postby gilbo139 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 am

This could be after 1920 after reading other posts about how the regimental numbers work but can anyone place a J Lamonte 5250776 said to be Worcester Regiment.....I can,t find anything on ancestry.
Thanks Colin
gilbo139

Re: J Lamonte

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Hello Colin,
The number 5250776 is definitely after 1920. I would say as a quess it was about 1930. The Worcestershire regiment was allocated the block of numbers that included that one. But you are in luck. Those records are still held by the Ministry of defence and did not get burnt. Also the Regimental Archives have the Enlistment ledgers covering this number. You can contact them. They charge a research fee of £18 (I think). A bargain.
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby gilbo139 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Mike
Thanks very much,
Colin
gilbo139

Postby John(txic) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Mike,

What information do these Enlistment Registers contain?

John
John(txic)

Postby Mike Jones » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Hello John,
I do have some foto copies of a few pages. I will dig them out in the next few days and let you know. But from memory they contain about 10 columns of information. Date of birth, age on enlistment, next of kin. married/single etc. I must tell you an amazing, hard to believe, sad story about them and how one very nice man who goes that bit further saved them.
The large books were stored in some outside storage facility owned and run by T.N.T storage company. The Ministry was picking up the bill. At some point a bright new cost cutting boy got involved. He decided to save some money by closing the contract and DUMPING them all. Not just the Worcester records but all regiments. Then came the nice man. He knew the historical value of them and did not want them scrapped. He, off his own bat rang round all the regiments and asked if they wanted the registers for free and he would arrange the transport ! The Worcesters accepted the offer gladly. Many regiments had gone out of existence or could not be contacted and the registers are now gone. The registers are still in their TNT boxes in the Worcester archives. Thats why. among other reasons they deserve the £18 research fee. The stuff that would be lost but for them !
Regards Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby John(txic) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:00 pm

That is absolutely fantastic. Well done, that man!
John(txic)

Postby Mike Jones » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:13 am

Hi John,
The information is pretty complete and the ledgers must have been regularly updated. The ledger when opened measures approx. 30 inches across and each man goes all the way across. Column 1 Army No. 2. wether he was regular, special reserve or territorial. 3. Name in Full. 4. Date of attestation. 5. Age on attestation ( there are many who enlisted young and declared it so. It was NOT illegal to join under 18. Page 4 has two boys who declared theselves to be 14 years and 7 months.) 6. Place of attestation 7. Trade on enlistment. 8. period of embodiment 9. Place of birth 10. Name and Nationality of woman to whom married and names of all children. 11. Place of marriage and birth of each child. One man here married a Maltese lady. !st child born Malta 2nd Barielly India. 3rd Tidworth 4th Worcester 5th Kempsey etc. 12. Date of marriage and birth of each child. 13.Campaigns, wounds , medals or rewards of any kind. The next section goes into his discharge. Where, when, place , cause,Rank and character on discharge. Pension amount ( One man got 27 old pence per day for life after 22 years0 It appears you got 6 old pence per day for winning an M.C. Address on discharge..
Hope this helps Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Postby Lamonte » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

This is the only information I have for James Wilfred 5250776:

He attested for the Worcestershire Regt on 5 May 1936 and transferred to the Corps of
Military Police on 3 October 1939. He did not serve in Palestine with the 1st Battalion so
presumably served in India and possibly China with the 2nd Battalion.

In 1946 he left home and disappeared leaving only 3 photos and a letter dated Oct 44,
sent from the Mediterranean theater as he was in C.M.F (combined Mediterranean forces) at that time.

Unfortunately his birth and death dates are unknown, and are a MOD pre-requisite to access his service details.

If anyone has any information on the birth and death dates of James Wilfred Lamonte please do not hesitate to email me.

james.lamonte@ntlworld.com
Lamonte

Postby scully » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:42 am

Hi John,

I found 2 possible matches for a James Wilfred Lamonte (the spelling may also be seen as Lamont) may be worth checking out. Details below:

1. James W. Lamonte born about 1913 and died in 1962 at Paddington, London. You can get a copy of his death certificate from the General Registery Office (www.gro.gov.uk) the reference details require are below:

Name: James W. Lamont
Birth Date: about 1913
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1962
Age at Death: 49
Registration district: Paddington
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5d
Page: 202

2. James William Lamont born 4th May 1915 and died in 1990 at Camberwell, London. You can get a copy of his death certificate from the General Registery Office the reference details require are below:

Date of birth: 4th May 1915
Date of Registration: October 1990
Age at death: 75
Registration District: Camberwell
Inferred County: London
Volume: 11
Page: 1388

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Louis (webmaster)
scully
Site Admin

Postby Lamonte » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks Louis, I will definitely give them a check out, I am subscribed at the moment to Ancestry,
see what I can dig up.
Lamonte

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920