10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards, 4th Bn

Post information here about individual army numbers or post a query about an individual and his army number.

Moderators: Kevin Lynott, peter, LarsA

10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards, 4th Bn

Postby Neily » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:53 pm

10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards, 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, born 1888 in Birmingham, enlisted about 1909 in Birmingham, medal index card shows entry into theatre of war: 2 b Balkans 25-4-15, presumed wounded in early stages of fighting and subsequently died of wounds 13-5-1915 on board ship whilst being evacuated to Egypt/Malta, buried in Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial cemetary Egypt.

After some research, I have found him listed in the 1911 census (India) although am unable to find which company he may have served in, I do have a photocopy image of The Drums taken in India circa 1910 but have no idea as to whether he would actually have been there at that time - no record, be it document or photographic exists within the family, my only starting reference was his death plaque which was in my late grandfather's possession - indeed, Robert Thomas has been a family mystery for many years.

I do have a photograph of his headstone in Chatby war cemetary via the CWGC but the whereabouts of any medals which may have been issued are unknown and no-one within the remaining family can ever recall seeing any, the only other items I have which *may* have been belonged to him are an old military issue jacknife and a few quite worn brass buttons which I discovered in the attic at my grandparents house - whether such items would have been sent back to any family members as some kind of 'personal effects' I don't know.

I have probably discovered as much as is possible but if anyone has any further photos of 4th battalion or indeed any further information relating to him at all it would be appreciated.

Many thanks, kind regards,

Neil W.
Neily

Re: 10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards, 4th Bn

Postby corona » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Neil,
10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards joined the Worcesters 31/8/1906,
On 15/9/1905 he ealier Attested into the 6th Worcesters(Militia) as Pte.7205
Aged 17 yrs.7 months ,living with his father Rob. Richards at 98, Church Rd. Aston , Birmingham
His Militia Papers can be found on FIND MY PAST(Military Section)
Regards,
corona.
corona

Re: 10135 Drummer Robert Thomas Richards, 4th Bn

Postby Neily » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Corona,

Thank you very much for the further information, I've now looked up and PlumPudding the relevant document pages.

Best regards,
Neil W.
Neily

Return to Regimental Numbers 1881 to 1920